"LELYSTAD IN A NUTSHELL" Netherlands by avdb1948
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,467 reviews and 86,662 photos
<center><font color=blue size=+1>LELYSTAD IN DEVELOPMENT
I live in Holland in the very new town: Lelystad.
We live here on "the bottom of the sea".
>> LELYSTAD is a modern, dynamic town: an ideal place to live, work and relax. Lelystad is the capitol of the Province of FLEVOLAND; it is also the largest municipality in the country. The town is calm and spacious, it has clear water, fresh air and clean soil.
The municipal administration focuses on growth. The "Master Plan Speeding Up Growth" as formulated by the Council includes two important objectives:
* population growth from 65.000 in 2001 to finally 75.000 or 80.000;
* 10.000 to 14.000 more new jobs.</font>
<div id='layer1' style='position:static;background-color:yellow'><font color=red size=+1>HISTORY:</DIV>
Seventy-five years ago the architect of the Zuyder Zee Project and then Minister of Public Works, Trade and Industry the engineer Cornelis Lely put his signature to the Act on the Enclosure and Partial Drainage of the Zuyder Zee. Lelystad was named after him. Lelystad is for the most part located in Eastern Flevoland, the third polder of a series of five planned by Mr. Lely. Dike constructions for Eastern Flevoland started in 1950. The first polder workers moved into the pioneer camp on the artifical island of Lelystad-Haven in 1953. In 1959 Eastern Flevoland emerged.
The first construction activities in Lelystad were started in 1966 and the first residents of the town moved into their houses on The Middelgronden on 27 September 1967.</font>
<div id='layer1' style='position:static;background-color:yellow'><font color=blue size=+1>FUTURE:</DIV>
>>Lelystad has already had a short but rather turbulent history: from drawing board to capital of the Province of Flevoland. A rapid succession of housing construction, road building, public green areas, the influx of new residents, industrial growth, starting new important facilities. But equally important is the drawing up and revision of plans, objectives and expextations.
What does not change is the quality of the town: living, working, spending leisure time outdoors, all amenities found, an attractive location on the IJsselmeer coast and an excellent infrastructure. That's where the future lies. The town's potential has not yet been fully realised. A great deal of work is still being carried out. The Master Plan is well under way. There are many plans, and there is enough space to make them and carry them out. The town is still on the move and subject to change.
Young, modern and dynamic, Lelystad in a nutshell.</font>
<font color=red size=+1>Nature, Tourism and Recreation:
Lelystad is a green town. The public parks include a range of shrubs and trees with edible fruit, which may be freely picked by the public.
Walking and cycling:
In and around the town lies an extensive network of cycling and foothpaths, which leads to numerous spots of natural beauty. If you like ramblig, you only have to follow the Flevo route: 175 km of rough terrain. In spring the rape seed fields stretch as far as the horizon,yellowing Flevoland. Ideal for bee keepers.
The Lelystad IJsselmeer coast is becoming increasingly popular with water sports enthusiasts. Subsequently, the number of berths will be expanded. There are three large marinas at present. For the smaller sailing boats and windsurfers we have two places.
The expansion of the golf course and the development of housing along the coast has alreaddy started. The coast of Lelystad will be made even more attractive for residents and holiday makers in the future, where it is
completed with luxury housing, promenades and public greenery.</font>
<div id='layer1' style='position:static;background-color:yellow'><font color=blue size=+1>PHOTO'S:</DIV>
For photo's about Flevoland and Lelystad go to VT:
sandybojoura and visit her Internethomepage.
<a href="http://surf.to/fotofantasy">Homepage SandyBojoura's Fotofantasy</a></font>
- See All Lelystad is about one driving...
- See All Packing List
- See All Hotel Restaurant Hardersluis...
- See All
- See All Will the butterfly fly again??
avdb1948's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 589 Reviews
- 768 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
Top 10 Pages
- Europe Intro, 99 reviews, 164 photos, 22 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 55 reviews, 113 photos, 8 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 62 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Leeuwarden Intro, 42 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oslo Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Budapest Intro, 43 reviews, 47 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hungary Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 39 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 31 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10124 Reviews - 21103 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1264 Reviews - 3249 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1419 Reviews - 3799 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos