"Home on the brecks" Lakenheath by morgandk
Lakenheath Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 14 photos
There isn't a lake, and the heath is four miles away on the other side of Mildenhall. In fact, the name is a corruption of lyking-hythe, meaning the landing place of the fen dwellers. Lakenheath is a fen edge village, like so many places across the border in Cambridgeshire. The fen starts immediately to the west of the high street , sort of dividing the village.
People have live here for a thousand years - since the fens were a giant lake and nearby Ely in Cambridgeshire was nothing but an island in a lake filled with eels. The lake is gone and fertile farmland has replaced it, but the remnants of Norman Catholic life can be seen in this 1,000 year old Anglican church. Stop by during the tea time and buy some cake or crafts!
It is a nice quiet little village. The village has four Pubs, several churches, some small ware stores, two previously owned auto sales, a Royal Legion Hall, a village hall, a surgery, a cricket club, some playing fields, a grocer, a Philapina restauraunt, Chinese take away, a fish and chips shop, a asain grocer, at least two estate agents, a Lloyds bank, a post office, a garden market, at least two news agents, licensed betting, and various hair salons.
- Pros:I live there.
- Cons:I live there.
- In a nutshell:It may not be th Taj Mahal, but it is home.
A favorite past-time of the local Anglo populous is to watch aircraft take off and land at the nearby RAF Lakenheath,... more travel advice
If you dress plainly, you will look out of place. Notice she has a creative way of wearing her pants. more travel advice
morgandk's Related Pages
Lakenheath Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visiting my daughter and seeing the area"
- "Home on the brecks"
- "RAF Lakenheath"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lakenheath
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lakenheath?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lakenheath
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Colorado Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Arizona Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mildenhall Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Lakenheath Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Penrose Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Orlando Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Montgomery Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Canon City Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos