"The magnificent city of Chichén Itzá" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá by Maria_75

Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 1,252 photos

The ruins of Chichén Itzá lies surrounded by deep jungle in the state of Yucatàn. The city (Chichén Viejo - the old part) was founded about 400 AD by the Mayas. Around 850 AD starts a new era in the city (Chichén Nuevo - the new part). The architecture and style becomes much more influenced by Toltecs, and the archeologists are not sure if they defeated and mixed with the Mayas, if the Toltecs and Mayas co-existed or if the Mayas just became very influenced by Toltecs. As with most of the old ruins there are very many theories about what actually happened and what the different buildings and traditions really meant. Anyway it is a really great site, and you should visit it if you have the opportunity.

• Last visit to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM

YOu have done a great job of presenting this fine city and its ruins. I was last here over 30 years ago, and the memories still are good of the tour.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 3:30 PM

A well written, complex and comprhensive page about Chichen-Itza. Thank you Maria you did an outstanding job here. Beautiful. Kat

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 7:28 AM

Maria, great page. We went there in 2002. Did you climb to the top?

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 9:18 PM

I am concerned that you have not changed your picture in a while. I though you change it each week. I will consult my pet camel about this.

• condorito's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 4:47 AM

Muy rico en informacion Gracias

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 8:36 AM

Maria this is an awsome very detailed page ,really very very good description and fabulous pictures .we are looking forwars so much to seeing all this beauty thank you for showing this great page ,I'll be back Huggsss Hansi

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 6:30 AM

Wow, very very interesting. Great descriptions of buildings, of the history. I just read one of the diaries of Guevara where he also describes quite detailed the buildings of Chichén-Itzá. Fascinating!!!

• SEALIFE's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 4:19 PM

Hi Friend! I wish yo you Happy New Year & Merry Christmas , .....no comment..

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2004 at 3:59 AM

Maria these were cool tips, I enjoyed them. I guess you had to be brave to play a game of ball with these guys, LOL :-)

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2004 at 3:16 PM

Absolutley Fabulous Page! Informative tips and brilliant piccies...you were SO brave to climb the pyramid...I just waited for my hubby at the bottom!! Ali xx

Maria_75

“...I wish, I wish, I was a catfish...”

Badges & Stats in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá

Have you been to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá?