Estado de Quintana Roo Transportation Tips by Maria_75 Top 5 Page for this destination
Estado de Quintana Roo Transportation: 11 reviews and 20 photos
Mexico is a very big country, and if you plan to do a lot of travelling you should consider taking a plane at least once. The bus from Playa del Carmen to Mexico City takes 24 hours and the plane takes 2 hours. When we checked the price on planetickets there was no doubt which of these two we would take. 24 hours on bus for 500 pesos or 2 hours on plane for 800 pesos?!? Hard choice... ;)
Planefares on routes that are highly trafficated can be quite cheap. But if you want to take a route which is not as popular, you might have to pay a lot more. Anyway you should check out the price if you are going to travel long distances. If it's a little bit more expencive it might be a good choice when you think about the time you save. Plus sleeping on overnightbuses can sometimes be a bit difficult.
The ferry between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen
Ferries takes you from Playa del Carmen and out to the island of Cozumel, or from Cancun to Isla Mujeres. The ride to Cozumel takes about half an hour, and costs 10-15 USD for a roundtrip. To Isla Mujeres it's cheaper and it takes about 15 minutes.
The ferries to Cozumel goes almost every hour, but they will usually give you a timetable when you buy the ticket. Ticketbooths are all over Playa del Carmen, and they always have a sign telling you when the next boat leaves. The ferry dock is located south at 5ta Avenida. The sea can be quite rough so if you have problems with seasickness it can be a good idea to take a pill before you go.
The busstation in Playa del Carmen
Bus is the best way to get around Quintana Roo. They are quite frequent and they are also very cheap. They come in all ranges from deluxe buses to small, bumpy buses. From Playa del Carmen it's just one hour on the bus to Cancun in the north, one hour to Tulum in the south, about four hours to the border between Mexico and Belize, three hours to Valladolid and five hours to Mérida.
More Reviews (13)
Maria_75's Related Pages
Estado de Quintana Roo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cenotes and visiting the Maya's"
- "A week on the Riviera Maya"
- "Quintana Roo"
- "Quintana Roo and the maya riviera"
- "Mexico Trip"
- "Fly into Cancun and then GET OUT!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Hotels in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Transportation in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Nightlife in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Restaurants in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Shopping in Estado de Quintana Roo
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado de Quintana Roo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Great Tey Hotels
- Winona Hotels
- Salvador da Bahia Hotels
- Great Barrier Island Hotels
Badges & Stats in Estado de Quintana Roo
- 90 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Estado de Quintana Roo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado de Quintana Roo
Photos in Estado de Quintana RooSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 120 reviews, 163 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 43 reviews, 76 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palenque Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico City Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canary Islands Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (40)
Top Estado de Quintana Roo hotels
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Tulum Hotels
- 451 Reviews - 1321 Photos
- Akumal Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Puerto Aventuras Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 97 Photos
- Puerto Morelos Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Isla Cozumel Hotels
- 563 Reviews - 1416 Photos
- Isla Mujeres Hotels
- 208 Reviews - 572 Photos
- Puerto Morelos Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 199 Photos
- San Miguel de Cozumel Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 101 Photos
- Isla Blanca Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Paraiso Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Chetumal Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Isla Holbox Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 117 Photos
- Isla Contoy Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 18 Photos