"GRAN CANARIA - explore the island!" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Gran Canaria by Maria_75

Isla de Gran Canaria Travel Guide: 416 reviews and 1,173 photos

A MINIATURE CONTINENT

Gran Canaria is so much more than the big and often unattractive touristplaces in the south, but it doesn't seem like many tourists knows this. The good thing is that you will have many of the other great places almost to yourself.

The best is to hire a car but you can also take the bus around. Driving is really easy on the island, except in Las Palmas where it is better to park the car and explore the city by foot. The island is not so big so you can see many great places in just a day or two. Here are just a few examples.

February/March is the Carnaval time here, so be sure to check out the Carnaval if you come here at that time.

TOUR SUGGESTIONS

I have tried to put together some tour suggestions under the 'general tips'. They are categorised by areas so that you can get some ideas of where to go and what to see.

Most of the places are easiest to reach by car, but some of them can also be reached by bus. There are also many companies that offer different tours around the island, but I have never tried any of these so I can't say how these tours are like.

MAP OF GRAN CANARIA

Here is a map of the island so you can see where many of the places are located.

Maps from Gran Canaria

Photos from Gran Canaria

• Intro Updated Dec 7, 2006

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Excellent page of Islad de Gran Canaria. Cheers from Penang island, SL :)

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Great tips on Isla de Gran Canaria. Gave you great tips!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Very good, thorough tips. Thanks, I added a lot of them to my custom travel guide, will be visiting on the 26.11. Regína

• Nov 1, 2008 at 5:59 AM

I couldn't agree more. It's true that many tourists don't seem to know about it but then it's nice that such a beauty is preserved from the masses!

• Dec 7, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Thanks! going to gc soon at this was very helping!

• Nov 15, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Thankyou for the info, I found your site very useful. I am thinking of moving to Peurto Rico soon. So I now know where to go out on day trips. Thanx again.

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2006 at 11:50 PM

I fell in love with Puerto de la Nieves on my first GC-Trip. But I was shocked to see they built this concrete-harbor some years later. But there are still a lot of nice places left on GC. So I'm looking very much forward to my next visit in October.

• parasbdoshi's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 4:28 AM

Hi .. Best Wishes from India .. Congrats for the new Home :) ..

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 12:13 PM

Very informative page! Thanks, it will help me a lot!

• kazuhr's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2006 at 6:39 PM

Greetings from Japan. What a nice page! Thank you for so much information on the island.

Maria_75 Lives Here!

Maria_75

“...I wish, I wish, I was a catfish...”

Badges & Stats in Isla de Gran Canaria

Have you been to Isla de Gran Canaria?