"OSLO" Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by Maria_75

Oslo Travel Guide: 2,985 reviews and 7,247 photos

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE

Oslo isn't the biggest capitol in the world, and there are just about 500.000 people living here. But you will still find that it has so much to offer. No matter what you want - you will find it here. Someone said that "Oslo is a small town with a big city feel, and a big city with a small town feel at the same time" - and it's true. If you want to live the "urban" life just head downtown, and if you want to get away from everything you can do that too. You are never far away from a park or the big forest that is surrounding the city.

SUMMERTIME
I love travelling, but for me there is no better place than Oslo on a beautiful summerday. In the middle of the summer the sun only goes down for a few hours in the night, but it doesn't get really dark.

You can sit by the sea and enjoy the summernight with a beer and some shrimps that you bought from a fishingboat. Go to one of the many lakes and feed the ducks. Take the ferry out to one of the islands and stay there the whole day; barbecue, take sun and go swimming. Bring a tent and camp in the forest; wake up to birds singing and take a morningbath in the lake.

Or you can head down to the centre. Take a café latte on the sidewalk and watch the people that go by. Visit the many museums, galleries and other attractions. Party the whole night at one of the many discos. Go shopping in Karl Johansgate, and windowshopping in Bogstadveien. Or just sit down and relax on a bench in one of the many parks.

WINTERTIME
The winter can be a bit difficult for many people. It's dark most of the day; in the middle of winter we just have a few hours of daylight. It can also get quite cold here, sometimes it's less than -25 degrees celcius.

But there are still lots of things you can do. One of my favorite things is when it has been snowing, and the snow is covering everything. It gets much lighter when it's snow on the ground, and everything looks so tranquil and beautiful.

All around the city you can find places to go iceskating, even in the middle of Karl Johansgate. About 20 min from the citycenter is a place called Tryvann where you can try downhill, slalom or snowboarding. At Holmenkollen nearby you can watch skijumps, or go sledding in the old bobsleigh-track from the 1952 Olympics.

There are lots of things to do here, check out my pages for more info. I am constantly adding things so check back again later if you want.

You can find more info about Oslo here:
Oslo destination guide

• Intro Updated Oct 5, 2005

• Dec 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Hi Maria, thanks a lot for all this interesting tips. I will use some of these information for my trip plans :)

• Aug 18, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Nice tips and lovely picture of: The famous 'Skrik' painted by Edvard Munch

• Jul 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM

WARNING: Far East on Bernt Ankers cheats tourists. I ate there on July 15th 2009 and the owner made sure none of us lived or worked in Norway before adding 25% MVA tax to our bill. MVA is included in the price in every other restaurant in Norway.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Really helpful tips .

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Happy birthday Maria! Nice pages of Oslo and nice homepage. Greetings from Alicante

• morgenhund's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 1:49 AM

Thanks for the comprehensive list of Oslo restaurants - am thinking about going there over Easter.

• Nov 19, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Maria, your hints tips and suggestions are superb. I am heading to Oslo for a 2 year secondment so advice like this is invaluable for me and my family. If you also know of good areas to live that are relatively inexpensive it would be a great help?

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 1:16 PM

you're the 1st VTer I've found who gives tips on skating; well done!

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM

hi maria, your page gives me much to read on, very informative. i'm heading there next month. I been warned many times, everything in oslo is freaking expensive.

• Feb 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Hey Maria! Thank you so much for this restaurant review/suggestions. I am an Asian, and as much as I will be exploring the Norwegian kitchen while in Norway, I am sure that there will be a time when I would long for the white rice and stir fry. bell

Maria_75 Was Born Here!

Maria_75

“...I wish, I wish, I was a catfish...”

Badges & Stats in Oslo