"CATCHING THE TRADE WINDS" Maria_75's Profile

A frozen viking in the warm Canaries... :)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

- Mark Twain -

GRAN CANARIA - my new home!

January 2005 I left Norway to live in Gran Canaria for a while, and I have been living in the white house up in the right corner of the picture. One year later I went back to Norway, sold my house and bought a new one in Gran Canaria. A decision I still haven't regretted... :)

I think I've been to Gran Canaria about a zillion times in my life, and everytime I find something new and interesting. For many people this is a really popular holidayresort, but it seems like many people get stuck in the touristareas and never get to see the beautiful things that the island has to offer. I think that's a real shame, and I want to share with you some of the many other great places on this island.

Sep 6, 2007: I just returned from a roadtrip in Norway with my spanish mother-in-law. Fantastic sceneries, weather changing from below zero degrees and snow to almost 30 degrees and blue skies. Wonderful holiday!

Read more about Canary Islands, Gran Canaria, Las Palmas or my new home; Santa Brígida.

OSLO - my hometown

This must be one of the most beautiful places in the world when the sky is blue, the sun is shining and the water is warm. It's just too bad that it can't be that way all the year...

Actually, winter is quite pretty too, but I'm just not a winterperson. Really unlucky for me to be born in the cold north... ;)

There are a lot of things to do and see here in both summer and winter, and I've tried to show some of it on my pages.

Even if I live in Spain now, and when I lived in other countries earlier, Oslo will always be my home. I will always go back there to refuel the batteries, before I return to the big world again.... ;)

Click here to read more about my beautiful hometown Oslo and spectacular Norway.

CAYE CAULKER - my little paradise island

In fall 2004 I went on a trip to Mexico and Belize, and the best part of the whole travel (and maybe all of my travels) was Caye Caulker.

It's a small island outside of Belize, and it's a true paradise. I fell completely in love with that place, and have been dreaming of it ever since I left it.

I hope and dream that I one day can return to this beautiful island again.

Check out my pages on Caye Caulker or some of my Mexico pages: Mexico City, Palenque, Chichén Itzá, Teotihuacán, Tulum, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Valladolid or Quintana Roo.

TURKEY - an experience of a lifetime

How do you summarize this country in a few sentences?!? Here you find everything! Whatever you seek, the country will have something for you. It offers a fascinating mix of all kinds of things.

I spent nine months in this country, and it was an experience of a lifetime! If Gran Canaria is my home away from home, then this must be my home away from everything. Geographically not so far from my own country, but in every other aspect so far away. But at the same time so close...

Confused? Go there and you will see what i mean... :)

Click here to see my pages of Turkey, Alanya or Pamukkale.

MEMORIES - the power to gather roses in winter...

"Snowflakes spill from heaven's hand
Lovely and chaste like smooth white sand.
A veil of wonder laced in light
Falling Gently on a winters night.
Graceful beauty raining down
Giving magic to the lifeless ground.
Each snowflake like a falling star
Smiling beauty that's spun afar.
Till earth is dressed in a robe of white
Unspoken poem the hush of night."
- Linda A. Copp -

Look at my Winter Wonderland page to see more pictures of my neighbourhood in wintertime.

THE WORLD...

I have been to many great places in this world, but still I haven't seen anything. There are plenty of places I would like to go, but there is so little time and so little money.

If anyone wants to pay me for travelling, just send me a mail... ;)

Well, maybe not. But I will keep updating the pages with places I have been to and the places I will go to in the future, so check back again later.

Enjoy your travelling, both on- and offline... :)

Greetings from
Maria

I will write you a letter from time to time,
As I'm ramblin' you can travel with me too.
With my head, my heart and my hands, my love,
I will send what I learn back home to you...

- Bob Dylan -

CONNECT THE DOTS YOUR OWN WAY!

1. Get an education that you want
- don't get an education just because
it will give you a nice title or high status

2. Get a job that you enjoy
- life is too short to waste it in a boring office.
Happiness is more important than status and titles.

3. Get out and explore
- we live on an incredible planet in a big universe!
Have you ever thought about that?

4. Do what you want
- it's your life; do what you want to do,
not what others mean you should do

5. Seize the moment
- tomorrow it can be too late,
and you can't bring your money when you die

6. See the beauty in everyday things
- you don't have to travel far away
to exotic places to enjoy life
(but sometimes it helps... ;)

Maria

• Intro Updated Oct 9, 2008

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Happy Birthday Maria!!!! Sorry that I am a day late, just logged in.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Happy Birthday, Maria, .Wishing you and yours a very Happy and Prosperous 2012!

• connectingrod's Profile Photo

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Hi Maria! Thank you to give me to your friends! And happy birthday to you! L

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2010 at 7:10 AM

I hope you have a very happy birthday and Happy New Year!

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Sorry I'm late, have not logged in for a while. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

• hasanhanks's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM

~Happy Birthday Maria~

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Hej / Holla Maria, happy birthday and happy holidays. Wishing all the best for the coming year. Greetings from Lisbon

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Such a lovely homepage you have and thanks for your n'ce comments on Turkey!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 8:29 AM

A most lovely birthday is wished for you. May you be surrounded by family and friends to celebrate YOU.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Maria_75's Profile Photo

Maria_75

“...I wish, I wish, I was a catfish...”

Real Name