"Currently see Chengdu (Sichuan sheng, China) page" Leshan by FreeCloud
Leshan Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 293 photos
All needs to be revised when I have time.
Leshan, Giant Buddha, together with Emei shan Mountain area, is on UNESCO World Heritage list, see website for details:
Here is part of the brief info:
When you get to Leshan (a 1.5-hour easy and comfortable bus ride from Chengdu, details later), then you can either walk or take a minibus to get to the dock.
Two types of ferries:
1) RMB 1/person/trip, just cross.
2) RMB 30/person/trip, this boat will stop at the middle or river, right in front of the giant buddha for 10 minutes, enough time for you to photo it, then reach the south bank.
Walk up the hill, pay RMB 40/person admission fee, follow the one-way direction path, to the top of the hill. Do NOT try to go counter-traffic direction, as the later path would be VERY narrow and no-way could you go up from there (we tried, and had to go back. :( At the admission place, the staff would say 'go as you like', so we believed. The counter-traffic direction hike probably is okay during off season only.
Have close up view of the buddha. Go through the history exhibiton behind, then walk down the narrow 9-bend stairway (jiu3 qu3 zhan4 dao4) to the hillfoot of the buddha. A platform is set up for photo taking if that is your cup of tea.
Then walk along the Above Cloud pathway (ling2 yun2 zhan4 dao4) to the back of the hill.
A boat-shaped village (very tiny, rather call it 'house compound') and a museum of suspending coffin culture (ma2 hao4 ya2 museum) are across the new arch bridge (with red and yellow glazed tiles and dragon heads deco) from the back of the giant buddha.
On the top 'rim' from where you can see the giant buddha from top, there is also an exhibition about the buddha's history with models and photos.
From the front of the giant buddha, if you can find the vintage point further away, someone said (also can find the drawings from local tourist map), the whole hill looks like a sleeping male buddha where the giant buddha at the chest position (buddha in the heart?)
Enjoy the photos in travelogue.
Le Shan The Giant Buddha , 71 meters high sitting in front of Min River (See my Giant Buddha travelogue). more travel advice
FreeCloud's Related Pages
Leshan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's biggest Buddha"
- "Beyond the Big Buddha"
- "Sharrie's Leshan Grand Buddha"
- "A city with great buddha and local snacks"
- "Le Shan Giant Buddha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leshan
- Hotels in Leshan
- Transportation in Leshan
- Restaurants in Leshan
- Warnings and Dangers in Leshan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Leshan
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Leshan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leshan
Photos in LeshanSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 216 photos, 18 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 175 photos, 18 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 9 reviews, 82 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lahaina Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dayan Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Jiuzhaigou Intro, 3 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lyon Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Meersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues