"Ellicott City - The Historic District" Top 5 Page for this destination Ellicott City by FreeCloud
Ellicott City Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 54 photos
Ellicott City, located between Washington D.C. and Baltimore, has about 41k population and at an elevation of 141 feet.
The place was first known as Ellicott Mils, named after three Quaker Ellicott brothers and the gristmill they established.
Together with Andrew Ellicott, Benjamin Banneker, a free black born in the area in 1731, was commissioned by George Washington to survey and lay out Washington D.C., and he is said to have successfully reproduced from memory plans originally designed by Pierre L'Enfat, who was dismissed from the project.
Ellicott City was the first terminal outside Baltimore for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Andrew Jackson became the first president to travel by train when he boarded a car here in 1833. -AAA Tourbook"
Visitors can visit the B&O Railroad Station Museum on 2711 Maryland Ave. at Main St. It is the restored first terminus, and "was the destination of American's first steam engine, 'Tom Thumb', in AUsut 1830. (AAA Tourbook)".
The official Ellicott City site provides all the information you need: restaurant, stores, history, and parking and so on:
Interesting ironwork doors proudly show the old charm of the little town. more travel advice
FreeCloud's Related Pages
Ellicott City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ellicott City - Marylands Most Haunted City"
- "West of Baltimore"
- "Ellicott City - The Historic District"
- "jc2000's new Ellicott City page"
- "frankcanfly's Baltimore Metro SOUTHWEST page"
- "Small, but interesting, suburb of Baltimore"
- "A Small Town with A Small Stake in U.S. History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellicott City
- Hotels in Ellicott City
- Transportation in Ellicott City
- Nightlife in Ellicott City
- Restaurants in Ellicott City
- Shopping in Ellicott City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ellicott City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ellicott City
- 10 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Ellicott City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellicott City
Photos in Ellicott CitySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 216 photos, 18 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 174 photos, 18 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nürnberg Intro, 9 reviews, 82 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lahaina Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 9 travelogues
- Dayan Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Jiuzhaigou Intro, 3 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lyon Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Meersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues