"paoseo's new Trieste Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste by paoseo

Trieste Travel Guide: 754 reviews and 1,990 photos

Hi!
I'm very happy to be able to share with you the love for my home town!
I really love this town,even if it has something I consider as shortages. I mean,beside the fact that older I bacame, smaller it seems to me, Trieste is a really old city. But when I say old I don't mean "ancient" but about age!! Here there is a very high average of old people!! Don't really know where young people go!!Probably they move in search of good jobs,as I'm doing myself !!Anyway...from young people's point of view there is a huge lack of meeting points. And when new bars open be sure that the year after there will be somebody who will try to make them closed!!!
Anyway...Trieste has something special! Now, that I'm not anymore in the disco-stage, and I'm looking for a normal life, I feel it as a perfect town where to live. It seems to me as a joke of the life..when I lived here I was eager to escape from it, now that I'm living somewhere else, I sometimes would like to come back here and miss my town!!Maybe 'cause Trieste has quite everything the Nature could give to a place.
It lies both next the sea, where you can find a marine park and clean water, and hills, where is possible enjoy of the particul morphological structure, thanks to the Carso.
The Carso characterizes Trieste with its caves called "doline" and its ground stoney.
Other very particular attraction is in winter wherfe blows a really very strong wind called"Bora"!!
So, as you can see, there is a lot of things to visit and see.....so come and visit my lovely town..it will enchants you!!
If you want to know a little bit more of Trieste, visit triestemia.com or http://triestenet.tripod.com/indexeng.htm

Drops of Trieste

One of the poets from Trieste that I love most is Umberto Saba.(Saba=bread in Jewish-real name Umberto Poli). His father was christian while the mother jewish.He was brought up by his mother and some aunts in the Jewish quarter of Trieste after hid father abandoned his mother while she was pregnant. In 1919, he bought a bookstore in Trieste(taht still exists), and in 1921, published a collection of his poems under his own imprint. He gave them the title “Il canzoniere” (“The Songbook”). Since he gradually added new parts to the volume(new editions appeared in differents years),at the end it contained more than four hundred poems, written over a fifty year period.Since he was of mixed race, Saba had to leave Trieste during the Nazi occupation. He fled to Florence and spent the duration moving from house to house to keep one step ahead of possible deportation. He died in 1957 in Gorizia.
If you want to know a little more of Trieste seen with saba's eyes here is a useful link: Trieste with Saba’s eyes

Three Streets

There is a street in Trieste where I see myself
mirrored in long days of closed shutters:
Via del Lazaretto Vecchio.
Among houses like hospices, ancient, identical,
it has one note, only one, of brightness,
the sea, at the bottom of its side streets.
Perfumed with spices and tar
from warehouses with their desolate facades
the trade is in nets, cordage for ships: one shop
has a banner for its emblem; inside, turned
towards the passer-by, women, who rarely
merit a glance, with bloodless faces bent
over the colors of every nation,
serve out the sentence that is
their lives: innocent prisoners
gloomily stitching cheerful ensigns.

In Trieste, with its many sadnesses,
its beauties of sky and district,
there is a steep hill called Via del Monte.
It begins with a synagogue and closes with a cloister; midway
up the street is a chapel; there from a meadow
you can scope out the dark energy of life,
and the sea with its ships, the promontory,
the crowds and the awnings of the market.
By the side of the slope is a cemetery,
abandoned, where not one funeral enters,
no one has been buried, as long as I
can remember: the old burying-ground
of the Jews, dear to my thought,
if I think of my own old ones, after so much
suffering and trading, buried there
—all alike, in spirit and appearance.

Via del Monte is the street of holy affection,
but the street of delight and love
is always Via Domenico Rossetti.
This green suburban byway, which loses,
day by day, its color, and is always
more city, less countryside, still keeps
the fascination of its best years,
its first scattered villas
and sparse rows of saplings. Whoever
strolls by in these last evenings
of summer—when every window is open
on a far vista,
where someone waits, knitting, or reading—
thinks that perhaps his beloved
might flourish again, in the old pleasure
of living, of loving him, him only;
and her little son, too, rosy with health.

-Umberto Saba

• Pros:Sea and hills,charm,mystery and history.
  • Cons:A little too old
  • In a nutshell:In the middle of Past and Present
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2007

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Ci tornerò a fine anno. Ciao!

• aksoym's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Trieste is awonderful city. And thank you for giving good advice about Trieste.

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Thank you for writing the tips on Trieste, we are going there soon and it is good to have a local person give such good information. dave

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I lived in Trieste for a year. I'm coming back to enjoy a weekend and see some old friends. After reading your review, I wanna stay not only for a weekend but for another year.

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Fantastic tips about Trieste - Thanks!

• Mar 16, 2008 at 9:13 AM

We stayed one night at Affittacamere Marta, the atmosphere was familiar, quiet. The owner are ... in one word... fantastic! We highly recommend this place!Andrea&Roberta

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 8:53 PM

There's a very famous and excellent espresso house in San Francisco called "Cafe' Trieste". Now, I know why the name fits so well.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Wow, what a splendid place for an enjoyable visit! This is a must!

• alza's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 7:34 PM

"Il suo nome - chiedevo - signorina?" e tu alzando su me gli occhi di sogno rispondevi: "Paolina" :) I bought Saba's 'Poesie scelte' in Trieste. Tks for this page!

• Laurina's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Cafe's in Trieste are fabulous! Love cafe degli specchi on the piazza and of course Cafe' tommaseo where my cousin also had her wedding :)

paoseo Used To Live Here!

paoseo

“We are the frequency of an unlimited energy.We can choose which frequency we want to be and live free from fear.”

Badges & Stats in Trieste

Have you been to Trieste?

Latest Activity in Trieste