"HISTORICAL VINCENNES" Top 5 Page for this destination Vincennes by miner

Vincennes Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 134 photos

From earliest times the Wabash River was a route between north and south. Here at a fording place it was crossed by a buffalo trace an ancient path worn by countless animals and Aborigenes in their migration between east and west. Here in historic times Indians dwelt and traveled both land and water routes, French explorers and missionaries followed.Early in the 18'th century Vincennes was established, the oldest settlement in the region.
From France England won this region. In the war of the Revolution the British commander of the Northwest came down the Wabash River making Fort Sackville at the crossing of the ways, the key to the frontier.George Rogers Clark follwed the BuffaloTrace from Kaskaskia toward Vincennes and captured Fort Sackville

• Pros:INTERESTING MEMORIAL
  • In a nutshell:RICH IN HISTORY
  • Last visit to Vincennes: Aug 2001
  • Intro Written Oct 5, 2002

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2006 at 12:32 PM

I grew up in Robinson, Illinois [across the Wabash and 30 minutes from Vincennes]. It was one of the "big" cities we visited along with Terre Haute. Thanks for rekindled memories.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 6:01 PM

an interesting page ! I never heared of Amish cooking yet !

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 5:48 AM

We loved our visit to Vincennes a couple of years ago, Wish we had had our digital camera then.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2003 at 10:01 AM

Great historical place - I read the table (after enlarging your picture) - very interested info! Amish cook? Wow, I don't know it!

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2003 at 5:01 PM

Defintely a great place to learn about an amazing piece of early American history. Too bad I loaded my camera wrong when I was there! Oh well, have to go back!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2003 at 7:22 PM

Quite a history as no doubt the many inhabitants of the cemetary tell. How amazing you were both reading the same book. You need to take a bigger plate next time John :-)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 8:41 PM

Nice page and great travelogue! Nice to read about this part of history!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2003 at 7:51 AM

Nice page and travelogues, and a history lesson as well! :-)

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2003 at 6:45 PM

Thanks for these. Wasn't aware that we had them.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2002 at 7:01 PM

looks like a realy interesting place, great page..tanx John

miner

“Keep smiling; it makes people wonder what you are up to.”

Badges & Stats in Vincennes

Have you been to Vincennes?

Latest Activity in Vincennes