"HISTORICAL VINCENNES" Top 5 Page for this destination Vincennes by miner
Vincennes Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 134 photos
From earliest times the Wabash River was a route between north and south. Here at a fording place it was crossed by a buffalo trace an ancient path worn by countless animals and Aborigenes in their migration between east and west. Here in historic times Indians dwelt and traveled both land and water routes, French explorers and missionaries followed.Early in the 18'th century Vincennes was established, the oldest settlement in the region.
From France England won this region. In the war of the Revolution the British commander of the Northwest came down the Wabash River making Fort Sackville at the crossing of the ways, the key to the frontier.George Rogers Clark follwed the BuffaloTrace from Kaskaskia toward Vincennes and captured Fort Sackville
- Pros:INTERESTING MEMORIAL
- In a nutshell:RICH IN HISTORY
Visit the George Rogers Clark Memorial and surounding grounds. The memorial on the banks of the Wabash River. I had... more travel advice
miner's Related Pages
Vincennes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dripping With History"
- "Vincennes, IN U.S.A"
- "HISTORICAL VINCENNES"
- "Indiana's Oldest City"
- "cptcaveman's new Vincennes Page"
- "Vincennes and its attractions"
- "French, English and the American Revolution"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vincennes
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Vincennes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vincennes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Princeton Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Illinois Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Claus Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- California Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pigeon Forge Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newport Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues