"GOD BLESS THE USA" United States of America by miner
United States of America Travel Guide: 285,675 reviews and 659,576 photos
The Constitution of the United States has been the supreme law of the nation since 1788. Drafted at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, it calls for a government of limited and delegated powers. George Washington was chosen to serve as president of the convention by the 55 delegates, who represented 12 states. The delegates drafted the document and sent it to the Congress of Confederation for approval. It was then sent to the states for ratification. All 13 states had ratified the Constitution by May 29, 1790. The First U.S. Congress drafted 12 amendments, from which the states ratified 10. Those 10 amendments became known as the Bill of Rights.This occured 225 years after the first settlement in America by the Spanish in St. Augustine.Look at the changes from 1790 to today in almost the same time span.
The founding of Saint Augustine (in what is now Florida) by the Spanish in 1565 marked the beginning of European colonization within the present boundaries of the United States.
In 1585 an expedition sponsored by Sir Walter Raleigh settled on Roanoke Island off the coast of present-day North Carolina. The colony soon failed. In 1587 Raleigh dispatched a larger group led by John White to the region, which he had named Virginia to honor Elizabeth I, known as the Virgin Queen. John White soon sailed back to England for additional supplies. The war with Spain prevented his returning to Roanoke until 1590, by which time the settlers had disappeared. The mystery of what happened to Raleigh’s Lost Colony has never been solved.
The first permanent English settlement in North America was Jamestown. Established in 1607, Jamestown was a project of the Virginia Company of London, a joint-stock corporation chartered in 1606 by King James of England.
The French quickly recognized the importance of controlling the Saint Lawrence River, the best available route to the interior. In 1608, as the first step in their strategic design, they founded Quebec. The brilliant achievements of such explorers as Jacques Marquette, Louis Jolliet, and René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle brought vast areas of the interior, including the entire Mississippi River valley, under nominal French ownership during the next 75 years.
The Dutch based their claims to North American territory on the explorations of Henry Hudson. An English mariner in the employ of the Dutch East India Company, Hudson had, in 1609, entered present-day New York Bay and explored the river that now bears his name. During the next few years the Dutch dispatched several trading vessels to the region, which they named New Netherland. Trading posts were founded on Manhattan Island and near the site of modern Albany in 1613 and 1614. Because of the profitable fur trade, the Dutch made no immediate attempt to colonize New Netherland. Permanent colonists began to arrive in 1624, and the settlement was named New Amsterdam (now New York City) in 1626. New Netherland grew slowly. Constant friction or warfare with the Native Americans, administrative incompetence, and internal unrest were characteristic, and the colony never attained the stability and vigor of Virginia or of the English colonies later founded in America.
This was the beginning of the nation to later be called the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.From it's humble beginning to it's growth to a "superpower" it has been a historically short evolution.
Once called a "Mongrel Race" I believe the U.S.is a composite of the best the entire world has to offer.We are represented by nearly every nation on Earth.
- Pros:THIS A GREAT COUNTRY TO LIVE IN
- In a nutshell:I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
Get off the Interstates,away from the big cities,and away from the major tourist attractions and really see America. more travel advice
miner's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 229 Reviews
- 468 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 24 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Princeton Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Louis Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Illinois Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Santa Claus Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- California Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pigeon Forge Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Newport Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top United States of America hotels
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2037 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1034 Reviews - 2092 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4178 Reviews - 7220 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- 388 Reviews - 649 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1993 Reviews - 4750 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9106 Reviews - 19355 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4385 Reviews - 8826 Photos
- Miami Hotels
- 1267 Reviews - 2919 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5885 Reviews - 12006 Photos