Beneden-Leeuwen Favorite Tips by Roeffie
Beneden-Leeuwen Favorites: 1 reviews and 1 photos
High water level in the river Waal!
Favorite thing: Ocassionally the river Waal floods its banks and can form a threath to people living behind the dikes.
The water can rise about 4 or 5 meters at that time.
From an already mighty river the Waal almost gets 3 km wide at some places.
The diffence between the land behind the dikes and the water can be sometimes more than 4 or 5 meters.
Standing on the dike you can imagine what it's like. You see the water half a meter or a meter below the top and the houses about a meter or 5 below the top.
If a flooding would occur here, the hight of the water in the villages would reach a level of 2 to 3.5 meters.
It is a constant treath to the people living here, but if you would ask them to move elswhere for their safety most of the people would answer 'no', simply because they are used to it and also love the river.
More Reviews (14)
Roeffie's Related Pages
Beneden-Leeuwen Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Beneden-Leeuwen
- 15 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Beneden-Leeuwen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beneden-Leeuwen
Photos in Beneden-LeeuwenSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 17 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egeskov Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos