"Little city of Buren and the royal link." Buren by Roeffie
Buren Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 53 photos
Buren is more then 600 years old and is well worth a visit. A big part of the surrounding medieval citywalls are still there, high above the little river Korne.
One of the old citygates is another thing that is still intact. It is called the Culemborgse- or Huizerpoort.
In the former Orphanage you can find a museum today. It the museum of "De Koninklijke Marechaussee" the dutch variant of the military police.
The "Boerenwagenmuseum" is situated in one of the wallhouses.
Buren likes to give itselve the title of 'Oranjestadje' because of the fact that Willem van Oranje married here to Anna van Buren in 1551.
I am sure a lot you people now say what the h... is he talking about. Who are Willem vanOranje and Anna van Buren. Well Willem van Oranje is the father of the Fatherland as we say. He was the first real leader of the Netherlands and "founder" of the Dutch Royal family.
The museum 'Buren and Orange' , in the former cityhall of the town, shows you what the bond between Buren and Orange is.
Nowadays the Dutch queen also has the title Countess of Buren.
The former queen of Holland Queen Wilhelmina often used ths name if she wanted to travel incognito and Crownprins Willem-Alexander applied himself as W.A. van Buren to skate the "Elfstedentocht".
The town takes a special interest in Maria van Nassau, the daughter of Willem and Anna. She stayed in Buren her whole life and did a lot of good things for the town.
In 1616 she ordered the Orphanage to be built, which is considered as one of the most beautiful examples of Dutch Renaissance.
Huizer or Cuilenburgsepoort Dates from 1395, on the westside of town. Buren is situated at the little river Korne... more travel advice
The scales These scales still hang just outside the church. This could mean several things. They used the scales for... more travel advice
Roeffie's Related Pages
Buren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buren also called "Orange town""
- "Buren - heart of the Betuwe"
- "Little city of Buren and the royal link."
- "Buren (Gld)"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buren
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (180)
Have you been to Buren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buren
Photos in BurenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Austria Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos