"Dutch Venice or Venice of the north" Top 5 Page for this destination Giethoorn by Roeffie
Giethoorn Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 151 photos
Giethoorn was founded somewhere about 1230 by fugitives from the mediterrenean. The first inhabitants found a mass of goats horns of wild goats. It is assumed they died here during Elisabethflood in 1170. So the new citizens of Giethoorn called their town Geytenhoren (dutch for Goats horn). Later the name became Geythorn, and after that Giethoorn.
Today's village finds it's in the days of the "Turfgravers". All the canals today where made by those people to transport "turf", which is an old kind of material to fire up the fireplace. This was used instead of coals, oil and wood. The big lakes around Giethoorn are most of the time only one meter deep. That is the place where they dug the "turf". The houses were built on the isles. The houses only could be reached by boat, a so called "punter" or by walking the small paths and typical bridges.
Today Giethoorn is a wellknown tourist attraction, but it still managed to keep it's identity.
You can hire all kind of boats to sail yourself through the canals and lakes. You can make an hours boattrip to explore the town and surrounding area.
And there are a few nice museums like:
Gemstone Museum De Oude Aarde
Museum 't Olde Maat Hus
and some nice craftshops and restaurants.
The most attractive thing to do here is boating!
Cycling or boating the area is the best thing to do. You can see far more places, then by car.
Once out of the town, passing the fields you feel the rest and peace of this area.
Time is not important here! Just relax and enjoy the tranquillity.
Useful link on this area:
Kop van Overijssel
Don't forget to check my travelogue!
- Pros:Nice relaxing place must of the year!
- Cons:A little crowded in July and August
- In a nutshell:Great place to be, a must see to all our guests!
Originally transport in Giethoorn is and was the "Punter" It is a typical kind of boat for this region. There are... more travel advice
Just outside the souvenirshop "In de Koperen Duikhelm" you'll find these gigantic wooden shoes. Take a picture it's free... more travel advice
Written Aug 25, 2003
Surroundings of Giethoorn
Written Aug 25, 2003
Giethoorn, the town itselve!
Roeffie's Related Pages
Giethoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An unusual natural environment"
- "Giethoorn - Venice of the North"
- "Giethoorn, a village along the waters"
- "Dutch Venice or Venice of the north"
- "Giethoorn, watervillage"
- "Picture Perfect"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Giethoorn
- Hotels in Giethoorn
- Transportation in Giethoorn
- Restaurants in Giethoorn
- Shopping in Giethoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Giethoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Giethoorn
- 12 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Giethoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Giethoorn
Photos in GiethoornSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 17 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egeskov Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos