"Grave, once a beautiful fortified town" Grave by Roeffie
Grave Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 43 photos
On this photo you can clearly see the lines of an old fortified town, but in time lots of the fortification were demolished.
You can recognize the fortification by it's starshaped canals and landscapeforms.
In 1944, during "Operation Market Garden". The 82th or the 101th Airborne division of the American Army fought here to keep the bridge for save passing of the Allied troops on their way to Arnhem, where the British and later on the Poles tried to keep the bridge in Arnhem, which went into history as a bridge to far.
Nowadays, thanks to the Americans, the bridge has the same look as before WWII.
They want to make a watersportspark under the bridge for rowing and other activities.
Roeffie's Related Pages
Grave Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Operation Market Garden Tour – Grave"
- "Old Grave"
- "Velp near Grave on New Year's Day 2007"
- "Grave, once a beautiful fortified town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grave
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Grave?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grave
Top 10 Pages
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 17 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egeskov Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos