"Island of little green houses!" Marken by Roeffie
Marken Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 148 photos
In the 19th century the Marken harbour was constructed for the fishing fleet. Until the closing of the "Zuiderzee", Marken lived of fishing the sea. Nowadays the Sea is called "IJsselmeer", because there isn't an open connection to the sea anymore. They closed it up with the "Afsluitdijk" in 1932, because of the flooding hazards in this particular area.
In 1959 they formed a dike to Marken, which made it reachable by car for the many tourists visiting Marken, until that year Marken only could be reached by boat.
At the harbour you can find this mini lighthouse to guide all ships during nighttime! more travel advice
The Marker museum was built in six historical fisherman's houses in the old center of Marken. It is partly left as a... more travel advice
Roeffie's Related Pages
Marken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marken - Island Life"
- "Marken, travel back in time"
- "A Former Island in a Former Part of the Sea"
- "Lovely seaside town"
- "Island of little green houses!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marken
- Hotels in Marken
- Transportation in Marken
- Restaurants in Marken
- Shopping in Marken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marken
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (180)
Have you been to Marken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marken
Photos in MarkenSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Verona Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Austria Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lago di Garda Intro, 13 reviews, 48 photos