"Holland in miniature" Texel by Roeffie
Texel Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 492 photos
Texel measures 16.000 ha of land. The biggest length is 25 km and the biggest width 8 km. Bu the county of Texel is much bigger, namely 58.500 ha., of which 42.500 ha is part of either the Wadden- or North sea.
Texel, which got its cityrights in 1415, is also called 'Netherlands in miniature'. You can enjoy a big variaty of landscapes like dunes, forests and grassland, coasy villages and kind and friendly people.
The isle counts about 13,750 inhabitants spread across seven vilalges and outer area. Den Burg, the main village with its 6,900 inh., is by far the biggest village.
The others are in order of most inhabitants: Oosterend (ca 1,400), Oudeschild (1,275), De Cocksdorp (1,250), De Koog (1,220), Den Hoorn (965), and De Waal (400).
Next to that Texel has several townships like Oost, Zevenhuizen, Midden-Eierland, Zuid-Eierland, Molenbuurt, Spang, De Westen, Driehuizen, Zuid-Haffel, Westergeest, 't Horntje and Nieuweschild.
For such a small island there are a lot of things to see and do.
Ofcourse you can perform all kinds of watersports. Texel is surrounded by two seas the "Waddenzee" and "Noordzee". There is a wellknown international Sailregatta called "Rondje Texel", which takes the sailors around the island.
Next to the watersports Texel is a very good island to discover by bike and food, because of the fact it measures only 25 by 8 km.
Things to visit when you are in or onTexel:
Ecomare, a hostel for seals
Sluftervallei, a nature preserve in the north.
Den Burg, the main town, but also the other villages.
All villages have very nice old houses and farms.
Don't forget to drive the Texelroute
Very good website on Texel: Texel.net
Den Hoorn Den Hoorn is one of those typical villages on Texel. Small old houses, a little church and some bigger farms... more travel advice
Roeffie's Related Pages
Texel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Texel, where the wind always blows."
- "Sun, sea and sheep!"
- "Texel, seven villages and more …."
- "WELCOME TO MY TEXEL PAGE ......:-)"
- "Sheep, shrimp, seagulls, shores, sea, and scenery"
- "Texel : the nature and bike lovers paradise!"
- "Holland in miniature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Texel
- Hotels in Texel
- Transportation in Texel
- Nightlife in Texel
- Restaurants in Texel
- Shopping in Texel
- Warnings and Dangers in Texel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Texel
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Texel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Texel
Photos in TexelSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 17 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egeskov Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos