"Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!" Helsingør by Roeffie
Helsingør Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 441 photos
Helsingør lies on the øresund only a stones throw away from Sweden´s Helsingborg. There are several ferries sailing to Helsingborg, almost every quarter of an hour.
The name Helsingør was first mentioned in 123, but the town dates back to 70 B.C.
The Danes took the right to ask a sort of toll or duty from the passing ships in the Sound. Through this and the trade Helsingør became a very powerful town in this area.
The Danish King Erik of Pomerania was very important for the growth of Helsingør. Therefor you still can see his statue in the towncentre.
Nowadays Helsingør has more then 60,000 inhabitants and a very lively towncentre.
For protecting the Sound and ofcourse Denmark they started building `Krogen` in 1425.
Between 1574 and 1585 they built Kronborg Slot on the fundaments of Krogen.
King Frederik II ordered to built this castle. As he was a big fan of Dutch Renaissance he asked or ordered ,whatever you like most, the dutch architect Hans van Paeschen to build this mighty castle. During the works Hans van Paeschen died and was replaced by Anton van Opbergen.
Almost the whole castle burned down in 1629 and was rebuilt again by Hans van Steenwinckel.
The castle wasn´t rebuilt as glorious and rich as it used to b, because of the fact that it only would be used as fortress and Army garnison. More on this castle on my Kronborg page!
Øresundsakvariet A very nice aquarium with all kinds of displays and tanks of the fish you can catch in the surrounding... more travel advice
Danish Maritime Museum Inside the Kronborg walls you also find the Danish Maritime Museum, with all kinds of shipmodels... more travel advice
Roeffie's Related Pages
Helsingør Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helsingør, Hamlet's little Hometown"
- "To be or not to be"
- "Helsingor and Hamlets Castle"
- "HELSINGOR OR ELSINOR"
- "Helsingor or Elsinore"
- "Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingør
- Hotels in Helsingør
- Transportation in Helsingør
- Nightlife in Helsingør
- Restaurants in Helsingør
- Shopping in Helsingør
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingør
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsingør
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Helsingør?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingør
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "RE: RE: A week in Holland -- What..."
- Commented on one of elcolibri's Helsingør travel pages
- updated a Helsingør Travel Page "Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!"
- Wrote a Review Meet the local fish! in Helsingør Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Meet the local fish!"
Photos in HelsingørSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Nijmegen Intro, 35 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 28 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 61 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 17 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Egeskov Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos