"The most remakable village of the world!" Baarle-Nassau by MATIM
Baarle-Nassau Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 65 photos
Baarle has a unique enclave situation where pieces of Belgium are situated in the Netherlands and visa versa.
A remarkable village where everything is double, two municipal administrations with two mayors, two police forces and two postal offices. With two different types of house numbers and road signs.
Even the pastor is also there in duplicate!
The village has an extraordinary past. Smugglers sneaked across the border for decades here. At nightfall they strolled through the country side, hiding their smuggled goods very well for the field guards. The history of Baarle also goes back to WW1. The notorious "death wire", that took many lives. The occupied Belgium enclaves ensured that Baarle became the centre of smuggling letters and spionage. Those historical days are still tangible in the form of touristic smuggling routes, old border crossings, monuments, and remarkable stories of the inhabitants themselves.
Nowadays, Baarle is a lively village, where you can shop very well, even on Sundays. In the city centre are many terraces and restaurants where you can enjoy local specialities. But also rest seekers will like Baarle. The country side, the forests, moors and farmlands are worth a visit.
There are two pumps (pomp) in the city centre. Both are classified as national monuments. One pump is a water pump and... more travel advice
You will find a boundary stone in the city centre. in front of the Saint Remigius church. This is a look-a-like of the... more travel advice
MATIM's Related Pages
Baarle-Nassau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Paradise"
- "Baarle-Nassau / Baarle-Hertog"
- "The most remakable village of the world!"
- "Looking for the Paradise"
- "A joke of place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baarle-Nassau
- Transportation in Baarle-Nassau
- Nightlife in Baarle-Nassau
- Restaurants in Baarle-Nassau
- Shopping in Baarle-Nassau
- Warnings and Dangers in Baarle-Nassau
- See All...
Explore the World
- West Palm Beach
- Jianggao Hotels
- Friday Harbor
- North Bay
- Coosa River Hotels
- Easter Island Hotels
- Kinshasa Hotels
- Newport State Park Hotels
- Janes Island
- Province of Pangasinan
- City Island
- Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area Hotels
- Santa Rosa
Badges & Stats in Baarle-Nassau
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Baarle-Nassau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baarle-Nassau
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: 2 days not in Amsterdam "
- Wrote a Review De pomp(en) in Baarle-Nassau Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The borders run crisscrossing"
- updated a Baarle-Nassau Travel Page "The most remakable village of the world!"
- Commented on one of Gili_S's Baarle-Nassau travel pages
Photos in Baarle-NassauSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 64 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gilze Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 37 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 4 reviews, 66 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Deventer Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos