"Breda" Top 5 Page for this destination Breda by MATIM
Breda Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,131 photos
Breda is a great place to live and to work.
The history of Breda dates back to the early days of the 12th century. Gradually the fishing village developed into a small town surrounded by walls. It was a small market town in which the harbour had a very important role. Merchandise was shipped to Breda from the surroundings to be sold near the port.
In the 14th and 15th centuries, Breda grew into a real royal residence.
In the 16th century, during the reign of Count Hendrik the thirth, Breda prospered. Under the leadership of the count, the city expanded considerably.
After Breda had completed its fortifications, the town could develop into an important economic centre. Periods for over six times, first by the Spaniards, then by the State army and eventually recaptured by the French.
Last century, the city finally developed undisturbedly. In that manner Breda grew into its present shape.
Now, Breda is a medium sized town with a population of about 126.000
Breda the prettiest town of North Brabant, it is a pleasant and easy going town. The centre is compact and eminently scrollable, with a magnificent church, a reasonable art gallery and a brand new cultural centre; there' s range of well priced accommodation, inexpensive restaurants and it' s a good springboard for exploring central north Brabant.
Iin short, it's a fine target, whether you're visiting for the day or looking for a base from which to branch Zeeland,Dordrecht, 'S-hertogenbosch or even Antwerp.
- Pros:great architecture, beautiful park and woods
- Cons:very expensive car parks!
This is the oldest stone building of Breda and owes its name to the Van Brecht family who lived here in the 15th or 16th... more travel advice
With around twenty different exhibitions each year dedicated to fine arts, design, fotography and architecture, this... more travel advice
MATIM's Related Pages
Breda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The VT Meeting that got Bigger and Bigger."
- "Nathalie_B's former "hometown""
- "My Hometown"
- "BEAUTIFUL BREDA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Breda
- Hotels in Breda
- Transportation in Breda
- Nightlife in Breda
- Restaurants in Breda
- Shopping in Breda
- Warnings and Dangers in Breda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Breda
- 37 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 76 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Breda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Breda
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 64 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gilze Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 37 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 4 reviews, 66 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Deventer Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos