"The oldest city of Holland" Geertruidenberg by MATIM
Geertruidenberg Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 13 photos
Geertruidenberg forms together with Raamsdonk, Raamsdonksveer one municipality.
It used to be an old trade city.
The oldest city of the Netherlands has a nice historic centre, fortified canals and an old market square surrounded by lime trees.
Very peaceful walking and cycle path along typical Langstraat farms.
The tower of the church looks out over the market square. At the terrace you experience an special atmosphere.
Geertruidenberg is named after Saint Gertrude of Nivelles.
In 1213, Sint Geertruidenberg (English: "Saint Gertrude's Mountain") received city rights from Count William I of Holland. The fortrified city became a trade center, where counts and other nobility gathered for negotiations. The Hook and Cod wars in 1420 and the Saint Elizabeth's flood in 1421 ended the prosperity of the city.
Today, Geertruidenberg is part of the province of North Brabant, but it was once part of the county of Holland. Geertruidenberg is the oldest city of Holland as it was the first to receive city rights. It's a common misconception that Geertruidenberg is the oldest city of the Netherlands, because the names Holland and the Netherlands are used interchangeably by some.
Geertruidenberg is the oldest city of Holland, at 1213 count Willem 1 from Holland gave St. Geertruidenberg city... more travel advice
Because Geertruidenberg was a fortified city you still find parts of the wall, the canons protected the city are still... more travel advice
MATIM's Related Pages
Geertruidenberg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Geertruidenberg
- Transportation in Geertruidenberg
- Restaurants in Geertruidenberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geertruidenberg
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Geertruidenberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geertruidenberg
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 64 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gilze Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 37 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 4 reviews, 66 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Deventer Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos