"A small fishing village" Spakenburg by MATIM
Spakenburg Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 16 photos
On the banks of the Eemmeer, lies the quiet fishing village of Spakenburg, dating back to the 13th century.
Even today , you can see women wearing the traditional local costume, a red, white and blue checked dress with flowery, American football style starched shoulder pieces.
It? s pity that this tradition is dying out.
Once Spakenburg was open to the sea, but the building of the Afsluitdijk, which made a freshwater lake of the Zuiderzee in 1932, put an end to that.
Then in the 1960?s ,Flevoland appeared just off Spakenburg? s coastline, an entire new province , 55 kilometres long and 22 kilometres wide, on land reclaimed from the southern Zuiderzee.
So now Spakenburg lies on the narrow Eemmeer channel, and its fishing heyday is long past. But family boats still put out to sea, and Eemmeer eels are a delicacy. The village wafts with wood smoke from backyard eel smokeries, and with the smell of freshly sawn wood from traditional boat builders.
Notice the mosaic with in the middle small plates, above the windows. more travel advice
The main raison I wanted to go to Spakenburg was to spot the women with their traditional local costumes. Only the older... more travel advice
MATIM's Related Pages
Spakenburg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Spakenburg
- Transportation in Spakenburg
- Shopping in Spakenburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spakenburg
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Spakenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spakenburg
Photos in SpakenburgSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 64 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gilze Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 37 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 4 reviews, 66 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Deventer Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos