"Open air museum the Zaanse Schans" Zaanse Schans by MATIM
Zaanse Schans Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 640 photos
The Zaanse Schans is a typical residential area along the river Zaan with green wooden houses and windmills dating from the 17th and the 18th century.
What makes the Zaanse Schans so special is that it is both a museum and a living and working area.
The area was named 'De Zaanse Schans' after an entrenchment which was erected in 1574 to hold back Spanish troops at the beginning of the Eighty Years War between the Netherlands and Spain. People work and live in the Zaanse Schans: they feel at home in the area and keep alive the glory which this industrial district saw in the golden age. Visiting the Zaanse Schans, you will see a situation characteristic of the landscape of that district until late in the nineteenth century. The dikes were probably built as early as the thirteenth century, the first villages were built along these at a later date. Until late in the last century these were typical 'dike-villages'.
The best way to go to the Zaanse is Schans is by train, or you can park you car at the trainstation, because you have to... more travel advice
At 'De Vrede' (peace) warehouse are sold lots of real Dutch souvenirs. Be aware that the souvenirs are more expensive... more travel advice
MATIM's Related Pages
Zaanse Schans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zaanse Schans"
- "It doesn't get any more dutch than this"
- ""A MUST SEE NEAR AMSTERDAM""
- "What a place for a VT meeting !!"
- "ZAANSE SCHANS"
- "Open air museum the Zaanse Schans"
- "Back to the 80's - The 1880's"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zaanse Schans
- Transportation in Zaanse Schans
- Restaurants in Zaanse Schans
- Shopping in Zaanse Schans
- Warnings and Dangers in Zaanse Schans
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Zaanse Schans
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Zaanse Schans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zaanse Schans
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 64 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gilze Intro, 35 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 37 reviews, 73 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 4 reviews, 66 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Deventer Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos