"BIERTAN - Unesco Patrimony" Biertan by codrutz
Biertan Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 27 photos
BIERTAN is kind of lost city, an old medieval fortress, it's origins dates to 1283, and was a flourishing crafts and trade center during the Middle Ages.
The fortified church of Biertan was built in the place of on old basilica at the end of the 15th century with architectural elements from the late-Gothic and renaissance style. The walls, which surround the church in three rows, were built in several stages: the inner enclosure was already built in the 14th century to protect the old basilica. The second enclosure was erected in the 15th century and the third one as well as the 8 towers and the bastions were built during the 16th century. The altar is the "gem" of Biertan church, as it is considered not only one of the biggest, but also the most beautiful Gothic folding triptychs in Transilvania. It is made-up of 28 pre-Reformation plates, dating from 1483 and attributed to the Vienna "Schottenmeister" school. The Sacristy Door is another of the churches "jewels". The oak door, with inlaid work, dates from 1515 and has a huge lock with a complicated mechanism on its backside. This was awarded a prize at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900 as it was considered a masterpiece of Transilvanian arts and crafts. The Church of Biertan, served, for 300 years as the residence of the Lutheran bishop of Transilvania.
Today, it is one of the Romania's most important historical and architectural monuments, included in 1993 on the UNESCO list of World Heritage.
See, it's a serious business. This charming old fortress city has it's own website. more travel advice
BY CAR: Sighisoara-Danes-Sarosu pe Tarnave-Biertan or Sibiu-Medias-Bratei-Sarosu pe Tarnave-Biertan BY TRAIN: As you... more travel advice
codrutz's Related Pages
Biertan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIERTAN - Unesco Patrimony"
- "an amazing church with fortifications"
- "THE ROUTE OF THE SAXON CHURCHES"
- "Medias and Biertan"
- "Village with a fortified church."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Biertan
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Biertan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biertan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 83 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 39 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 10 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 35 reviews, 76 photos
- Sibiu Intro, 39 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues