"About my homecity - Bucharest" Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest by codrutz
Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,677 reviews and 4,374 photos
NEW FROM 2011! Bucharest City Tour buses (hop on hop off tour busses with 14 stops) - see more details in this review
Bucharest is a really beautiful city, featuring impossible mixture of different architecture styles. You can meet Gothic type and Stalin-period-style buildings neighboring at the same street with post-modern hotel tower of concrete and glass. Unlike NY or Chicago, the street structure is not square-parallel, but rather star-like, so streets go like star beams from round circuses, thus forming blocks of different shapes - three, five, six-corner blocks, but not rectangular.
During the 50's, Bucharest was known as The Little Paris because of the similarities in boulevards and architecture. Also, Bucharest has a Triumphal Arch very similar to the one in Paris. Erudites in that period was known to study in Paris, the Romanian language is related to French, so the two cities were somehow linked.
Up to date and very informative, with city landmarks, museums, parks&gardens, attractions, walks, day trips, transportation, shopping, accomodation and other tourist info on The Tourism Office info about Bucharest
Downtown of Bucharest is comprised by the space between the Victoriei Square - where the Romanian Government is and the Unirii Square - in which south east end starts the grand (but not so interesting) boulevard to the Parliament Palace. Near Unirii Square there is also the old city center, the Old Princely Court and oldest streets like Lipscani, Selari, Covaci, Gabroveni, between National Bank of Romania and the geographical center of Bucharest, Sf. Gheorghe Square - considered km.0 of Romania.
The Revolution square is a double square that hosts to the north the Romanian Athenaeum (see first picture of the page) and the Hilton hotel, and the south part, with the National Library, the Senate building and the old Royal Palace that is now the Museum of Art. The newest landmark in town is a white marble spear with something like a squashed earth on the top - I really don't know yet the explanation :)
I guess it is nice to discover the old boulevards and buildings, old hotels from the time of "Little Paris", lots of churches (hidden behind blocks of flats by the communist regime) and the palaces like the one in the side picture, which is located near the Cismigiu Park - oldest park of Bucharest.
The farther from the downtown, the more territory is covered by beautiful parks. Herastrau, I think, is the biggest one and I think it's at least twice as large as Manhattan's Central Park. Again, in parks they mix French 'civilized' style with English wildlife simulation. There is also the Tineretului Park, more to the south, and a lot of other smaller parks.
- Pros:Architecture, people, shops, food, nighclubs
- Cons:Crowded, not very clean
- In a nutshell:Formerly known as Little Paris .. now it's Bucharest day&night :)
This is not a scam but a tip to have cheaper calls while in Romania. During the trip you might want to call a number in... more travel advice
Today Aug 26th 2011 the exchange rates are: 1 EUR = 4.3 RON 1 USD = 3 RON This can vary up or down 10% over one year... more travel advice
- See All St. Patrick Irish Pub & Restaurant
- See All Deluxe near old town
- See All December 1st, National Celebration
- See All Mother of shopping centers
codrutz's Related Pages
Bucharest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter"
- "About my homecity - Bucharest"
- "I learned to love it"
- "Bucharest, Romania"
- "Bucharest / Bucureşti"
- "Bucharest - Trapped Between Past And Future"
- "Bucharest-1st stop on a Romania tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bucharest
- Hotels in Bucharest
- Transportation in Bucharest
- Nightlife in Bucharest
- Restaurants in Bucharest
- Shopping in Bucharest
- Warnings and Dangers in Bucharest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bucharest
- 84 Reviews
- 161 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 235 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Bucharest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bucharest
- Commented on one of codrutz's Bucharest travel pages
- Posted in Travel Bucharest Forum "Re: Daily trips from Bucharest"
- Wrote a Review St. Patrick Irish Pub & Restaurant about Pubs (bars) in Bucharest Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Village Museum"
- updated a Bucharest Travel Page "About my homecity - Bucharest"
Photos in BucharestSee All Photos (161)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 84 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 39 reviews, 97 photos
- Romania Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 10 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 35 reviews, 76 photos
- Sibiu Intro, 39 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues