"Sighisoara - the medieval reminiscence" Sighisoara by codrutz
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,090 photos
Sighisoara has always fascinated its visitors by its picturesque by-streets, houses, bastions, towers, churches; besides, it is the birthplace of a both historical and legendary hero Dracula or Vlad the Impaler. Narrow lanes winding towards the fortress, church towers, donjons, covered stairs, arched and tunnel fronted houses make up a rich and unique out-door medieval museum.
Alledgedly built in 1191, but found in documents of the time only in 1280 under the name of "Castrum Sex" (Fort Six), then by the german name Schespurch (1298), and only later, in 1431, in a written document issued by Vlad Dracul - Vlad the Impaler's father, it was given the actual name of Sighisoara (Schaessburg, Segesvar).
Sighisoara is no doubt the best preserved fortified town in Transylvania, with a beautiful and authentic medieval architecture. It was built by german colonists in order to defend the former borders of the hungarian kingdom during the 12th-13th centuries. Counting 36,486 inhabitants (1995), Sighisoara lies in the valley of the Tarnava Mare river. The medieval stronghold was built on top of a hill, surrounded by forests, and known as the "Hill of the Fortress". The superb natural background against which Sighisoara was set made people call it "a gem of Transylvania" or "a pearl of the Tarnava river".
- In a nutshell:Best preserved medieval fortress in Romania
Hotel Sighisoara looks good from outside. Can't really recommend it because I never stayed there, but I guess it's nice... more travel advice
Seing again Sighisoara after visiting Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany made me see the similarities. There are also... more travel advice
codrutz's Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Doesn't need to rely on Dracula"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 18 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
Photos in SighisoaraSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 83 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 39 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 31 reviews, 101 photos, 10 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 40 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 35 reviews, 76 photos
- Sibiu Intro, 39 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Frankfurt am Main Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Sighisoara hotel reviews
- Hotel Binder Bubi
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Gia Hostel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Nathans Villa Sighisoara
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 4, 2012
- Casa Wagner
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Burg Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Legend House
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Europa 2000
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2009