Nagano Local Custom Tips by kiwigal_1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Nagano Local Customs: 4 reviews and 4 photos
1000 Japanese Yen
The currency in Japan is the Yen. The note pictured is the 1000 Yen bill which is the smallest. The other notes are 5000 and 10000 yen. Just recently a 2000 Yen note was introduced in Japan. The coins come in 500,100,50,10,5 and 1 yen denominations.
When travelling to Japan the best thing to do is to change your money into Yen cash (or if you are coming from the US then American Dollars is fine) as Japan is a cash based society. It is very common to walk around with the equivalent of $500US in cash or more!
The debit card and credit card craze of most societies has never caught on in Japan. Most foreign credit cards are not accepted in shops, restaurants and even some hotels. It is possible to get a cash advance from a Visa card at some ATM machines or banks but don't count on it! In Nagano the best place to go to get cash advances from your visa card is the ATM on the ground floor of the Heiando book store building opposite Nagano Station.
To find out how much the Yen is worth take a look at this currency converter
Togakushi Soba Mill
When you come to Nagano you will notice many Soba Restaurants. That is because Soba is a Nagano specialty. You can buy the raw product in omiyage gift stores or in supermarkets. If you are interested in seeing how Soba is made then I suggest you take a trip out of town to Togakushi. This picture is of a traditional Soba Mill at the Ninja Museum in Togakushi. The Soba Noodle is made from ground Buckwheat.
Please see my Togakushi Travelogue for more pictures and information.
The code for Japan is 81
The code for Nagano City is 026
The code for Matsumoto City is 0263
Zenkoji Temple, Nagano
When you visit a temple in Japan it is customary to wash your hands in the water found near the temple entrance. There are little scoops provided. It can be very cold in winter though!!
This is taken at Zenkoji Temple.
More Reviews (41)
- See All LAKE SUWA
- See All Zenkoji Festival - January 2003
- See All JIGOKUDANI KOEN
- See All My friend Kizuku
- What to Buy in Nagano?
- See All CAPRICIOSA
kiwigal_1's Related Pages
Nagano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nagano Livin'"
- "Hakuba and Nagano City"
- "Snow Monkeys"
- "Skiing at Nagano"
- "Nagano - Snow Monkeys, Soba and Miso Ice Cream"
- "Ski The Far East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano
- Hotels in Nagano
- Transportation in Nagano
- Nightlife in Nagano
- Restaurants in Nagano
- Shopping in Nagano
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nickelsdorf Hotels
- Julian Hotels
- Doonside Hotels
- Boca del Rio Hotels
- Broek op Langedijk
- Laghi di Fusine
Badges & Stats in Nagano
- 45 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 152 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Nagano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 56 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Region Intro, 66 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arequipa Intro, 21 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Easter Island Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Cruz Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machu Picchu Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos
Latest Nagano hotel reviews
- Matsuya Ryokan
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013