Nagano Things to Do Tips by kiwigal_1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Nagano Things to Do: 15 reviews and 23 photos
Every year more than 10,000 fireworks are let off over Lake Suwa in Nagano Prefecture. I heard that it was THE fireworks event of the summer and that I should go at least once! Well, I went and I assure you that although it is a beautiful display I won't be racing back in a hurry. The main problem was the HUGE crowd of people!! I took the train down to KamiSuwa from Nagano City. Extra trains had to be put on for the event. The expressways near Suwa were blocked for miles by people slowing down to watch too!!
* note * you will have to arrive hours before hand to find a spot to sit or you can pay 4000 Yen a pop for a spot on the lake edge.
Directions: On the edge of Lake Suwa. Take a train to Kami Suwa Station and follow the hoardes of people!
Other Contact: In August sometime.
Zenkoji in the foreground
Dating from 1707, Zenkoji is a designated National Treasure. Zenkoji is an important pilgrims destination and remains an authentic centre of worship in Japan.
This picture is of Zenkoji and Nagano City from the hill I live on (Ojoji Daira).
There is a pitch black tunnel underneath the Main Hall where you can walk around. It is said that this is the temples' 'place for enlightenment' and that all people here are equal. There is a key to Paradise that you can feel for whilst in the tunnel. The idea is that you should free yourself of worldly thoughts and engage in self-reflection.
Address: Motoyoshi Cho 491, Nagano City
Directions: You can catch a 100yen bus from Nagano Station or it is a pleasant walk through the shopping area on Chuo Dori up a small hill to the entrance.
Other Contact: Fax. 026-235-2151
M-Wave is a very interesting building that is shaped like a wave. From where I live on a hill it is very easy to spot! M-Wave was built for the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics as a speed skating arena. It was also used more recently as the venue for the 2002 World Ice Skating Championships.
Address: Route 18 to Suzaka.
More Reviews (42)
- See All LAKE SUWA
- See All Zenkoji Festival - January 2003
- See All JIGOKUDANI KOEN
- See All My friend Kizuku
- What to Buy in Nagano?
- See All CAPRICIOSA
kiwigal_1's Related Pages
Nagano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nagano Livin'"
- "Hakuba and Nagano City"
- "Snow Monkeys"
- "Skiing at Nagano"
- "Nagano - Snow Monkeys, Soba and Miso Ice Cream"
- "Ski The Far East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano
- Hotels in Nagano
- Transportation in Nagano
- Nightlife in Nagano
- Restaurants in Nagano
- Shopping in Nagano
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nagano
- 45 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 152 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Nagano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 56 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Region Intro, 66 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arequipa Intro, 21 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Easter Island Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Cruz Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machu Picchu Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos
Latest Nagano hotel reviews
- Matsuya Ryokan
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013