"Auckland - The City of Sails" Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Region by kiwigal_1
Auckland Region Travel Guide: 1,458 reviews and 3,163 photos
Auckland is my hometown. Since 1998 I have spent more time away from Auckland than living here however my parents and two of my brothers and their families live here.
Auckland is one of my favourite places to come to. It has a really pretty outlook with the harbour and the volcanic cones dotted over it.
There is plenty to see and do here too. You might like to visit Mission Bay or Takapuna which are two popular inner city beaches with good cafes also.
You might like to go up Mt Eden or One Tree Hill for some lovely views of the city (and a bit of exercise too!). Cornwall Park (where One Tree Hill is located) is a nice place for walks, running, cycling and picnics.
For shopping there are the trendy boutiques of High Street, Newmarket and Ponsonby, there are several malls, the biggest being St Lukes in Sandringham. Downtown is best left for souvenir shopping.
The Sky Tower is a distinctive landmark on the Auckland landscape. It offers good views both day and night and has the casino and some good restaurants.
I would also recommend a cruise on the harbour or a trip to Waiheke and Devonport.
Most of these activities cost very little too :-)
Auckland city is one of the most spread out cities in the world and only has a population of just over 1,000,000 people. If you take a look at the map you can see the areas that make up Auckland.
The green section is where I live and this is known as Central Auckland or Auckland City. The red area is known as South Auckland or Manukau City and this (including the Papakura district in blue) is really the southern boundary of Auckland.
The lime green section is West Auckland or Waitakere City and the Yellow section is North Shore City which makes the northern boundary of Auckland. Parts of the Franklin and Rodney Districts are also sometimes considered to be part of Auckland also.
In 2009 the government announced that Auckland will be turned into a "Super City" and will be administered under one council. We are still waiting to see exactly what this structure will look like. I am happy about the change as I think it will mean that Auckland's infrastructure should be better planned and more coordinated.
Unfortunately getting around this large space is not so easy as we do not have a good public transport system although if you have time on your side there are buses and trains from the city centre to most places you would want to go. If you are in Auckland, and indeed New Zealand for a longer stay then I suggest you consider buying a cheap car!
Welcome to the City of Sails!
- Pros:Close to beaches, bush walks, countryside but with the benefits of city living
- Cons:Bad transportation!
- In a nutshell:home sweet home
Muriwai Beach is located in West Auckland. It is best known for the Gannet colonies that are located in a sanctuary just... more travel advice
This restaurant is a pretty nice one. A good place to sit and watch the world go by on their outdoor seating area... more travel advice
- See All Fox's Winery and Ale House
- See All Hilton Hotel
- See All Driving around New Zealand
- See All Auckland Fish Market
- Mt Roskill Grammar School
kiwigal_1's Related Pages
Auckland Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Auckland - The City of Sails"
- "Auckland Region"
- "Auckland Region"
- "Country churches around the Auckland region."
- "City of sails"
- "City of Sails."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Auckland Region
- Hotels in Auckland Region
- Transportation in Auckland Region
- Nightlife in Auckland Region
- Restaurants in Auckland Region
- Shopping in Auckland Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Auckland Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Auckland Region
- 80 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Auckland Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Auckland Region
Photos in Auckland RegionSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 56 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Region Intro, 66 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arequipa Intro, 21 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Easter Island Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Cruz Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machu Picchu Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos