New Zealand Transportation Tips by kiwigal_1
New Zealand Transportation: 284 reviews and 272 photos
Bus Stop in Auckland
Most of New Zealand has pretty bad public transport. In Auckland a car is almost essential. Buses run from the suburbs into the city and there are a few across town. The bus services in Auckland are improving but are far from perfect.
Around New Zealand I believe it is best to rent a car or motor home and drive yourself. There are bus services if you are making only a couple of trips but if you have a long itinerary take the car!
For more information on the bus fares and routes around Auckland and beyond please click the link below.
Bus fares in Auckland start at $1.20 for one stage (generally stages are about 4 kilometers in length).
Type: Car/Motor Home
New Zealand is a great place to drive around however it is important for international travellers to check the rules of driving here as they may be different to your country. State Highway One is the major highway running the length of the country.
You can get rental cars from all the airports. Remember if you start in Auckland that this is a very busy city and traffic is at its peak during the "rush hour" before and after work. It is recommended that you look at a map and plan your route before driving in a vehicle so as not to slow down other drivers! (a hazard I have noticed tourists doing here!!)
For rules on driving please refer to Driving in New Zealand
The AA website below is a good one to look at if you want to find out more information on driving in New Zealand and on travel times and distances between locations.
Type: Car/Motor Home
There is a ferry service between the North Island of NZ from Wellington to Picton in the South Island. The ferries are run by Inter Islander and The Lynx
In Auckland itself there are ferries to get to various destinations (mainly in the Hauraki Gulf). The company that arranges these are Fullers Cruises.
Tranz Metro train
The train system is not so well developed in New Zealand although there are train services within Auckland and Wellington and around certain parts of the country.
The TranzScenic trains run between Auckland and Wellington, Hamilton to Rotorua, Picton to Christchurch and Christchurch to Greymouth.
The TranzMetro company runs the local trains within the cities. Timetable information and fares can be found at:
Air New Zealand
The main airport hub for New Zealand is Auckland International Airport.
There are flights to Auckland from all major cities around the world.
New Zealand's major airline is
Air New Zealand.
At Auckland International Airport there is a NZ$25 Departure Tax payable by every departing passenger.
More Reviews (24)
- See All Kayaking in the Abel Tasman National...
- See All Sheep
- See All Waiheke Island
- See All Last minute hotel accommodation deals
kiwigal_1's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Havelock Hotels
- Starbuckville Hotels
- Biemenhorst Hotels
- Prato Hotels
- Judetul Mehedinti
- My Tho
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 262 Reviews
- 413 Photos
- 85 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Travel Santiago Forum "Re: Ski Rental"
- updated a New Zealand Travel Page "Aotearoa - New Zealand"
- Wrote a Review Kayaking in the Abel Tasman National Park in New Zealand Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kayaking in the Abel Tasman National Park"
- Commented on one of rozehill's New Zealand travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 56 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Region Intro, 66 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arequipa Intro, 21 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Easter Island Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Cruz Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machu Picchu Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2291 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 630 Reviews - 1671 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1224 Photos
- Mangere Hotels
- 2 Reviews
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1239 Reviews - 2600 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 338 Reviews - 786 Photos
- Waiheke Island Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 127 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Auckland- 51 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Northland- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Wellington- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- West Coast, South Island.- 21 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Taupo- 17 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Coromandel Peninsular- 13 Reviews, 34 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do