New Zealand Things to Do Tips by kiwigal_1
New Zealand Things to Do: 1,201 reviews and 1,699 photos
Vineyard - Napier
Napier is a small city located on the east coast of the North Island in the Hawke's Bay area.
It is a famous wine growing region in New Zealand. I do a wine tasting tour whenever I visit here.
Napier is the located of the last big earthquake to hit New Zealand in the 1930's. The whole city was devastated and had to be rebuilt. Consequently 1930's Art Deco style architecture can be seen all over the town.
Check out my Napier page for more information on what to see and do in this town.
Taupo - view to Mt Ruapehu
Taupo (the town) rests at the northern end of Lake Taupo for which it is named. The lake is in fact a volcanic crater and the result of several volcanic eruptions many years ago. The area is a hot bed (excuse the pun!) of activity that largely revolves around the natural beauty that the area is so famous for.
You could base your self here to go to the Tongariro National Park and do the Tongariro Crossing or also as a base in winter to get to the skiing/snowboarding areas on Mt Ruapehu.
Taupo is situated about 3 hours drive south of Auckland on State Highway One.
Please see my Taupo Page for more information!
Hole in the Rock, Bay of Islands
The Northland region of New Zealand is one of the most popular places to visit, particularly in the summer. There is a lot to see and do.
One of the highlights would be the Bay of Islands with its infamous Hole in the Rock boat trip (if you are lucky you will also see dolphins on this trip).
A little further north is Ninety Mile Beach where you can take a bus tour along the beach. Tane Mahuta - the large Kauri tree is also in this vicinity.
At the top of the North Island is Cape Reinga with its lighthouse and I suppose a cool place to go to say you've been there!
Heading back down from the top (or going up if you prefer) I recommend a drive on the Coastal Highway which will take you to a string of pretty beaches including Mangawhai, Laings Beach and Waipu.
Champagne Pool, Rotorua
Rotorua is a place of geothermal activity in New Zealand where one can enjoy visiting natural hot springs and mud pools. These pictures show the famous Pohutu Geyser at Whakarewarewa Park in Rotorua and also the Champagne pools at another important Rotorua tourist attraction.
Rotorua is a great place to experience Maori culture. It is possible to visit a Marae (Maori Home) and take part in a traditional Powhiri , or greeting. For those of you who don't know, the Maori people are native New Zealanders.
Rotorua has other activities including the gondola and luge, the rainbow springs and sheep centre which are great outings for families.
For more pictures and information please look at my Rotorua page.
Auckland from the Harbour at sunset
The City of Sails is what Auckland is known as and is one of my favourite cities in the world. It has a really pretty outlook with the harbour and the volcanic cones dotted over it.
There is plenty to see and do here too. You might like to visit Mission Bay or Takapuna which are two popular inner city beaches with good cafes also. You might like to go up Mt Eden or One Tree Hill for some lovely views of the city (and a bit of exercise too!).
Cornwall Park (where One Tree Hill is located) is a nice place for walks, running, cycling and picnics. For shopping there are several malls, the biggest being St Lukes in Sandringham. Downtown is ok for shopping but most local kiwis don't shop here.
The Sky Tower is a distinctive landmark on the Auckland landscape. It offers good views both day and night and has the casino and some good restaurants. I would also recommend a cruise on the harbour or a trip to Waiheke and Devonport.
Most of these activities cost very little too :-)
Take a look at my Auckland page on VT for more information on this city and surrounding region.
Waiheke Island is an island in the Hauraki Gulf in the outer edge of Auckland Harbour. The island is home to about 10,000 Aucklanders with the population concentrated on the left hand side of the island. It is a great get-away for Aucklanders and tourists alike and is especially good to sample watersports like kayaking and fishing in the summer. Waiheke is said to be a few degrees warmer than mainland Auckland and the climate is great for growing grapes. There are a large number of vineyards on the island. The main beaches are Oneroa, Palm and Onetangi. The island also has an interesting war time heritage with a large underground tunnels and gun emplacements at a place called Stoney Batter on the far end of the island (reachable by car only).
Directions: Take a Fullers Ferry from the Auckland Downtown Ferry terminal. Buses and Taxis are on the island.
Queenstown is the adventure capital of New Zealand. It has everything from Bungy Jumping to Jet Boating. There are beautiful mountains for skiiing in winter and hiking in summer. Wineries to visit and quaint townships like Arrowtown to get a feel for the history.
Please take a look at my Queenstown Page for more information!
Directions: Best to fly down on Air NZ or Qantas to get to the heart of the action!
More Reviews (22)
- See All Kayaking in the Abel Tasman National...
- See All Sheep
- See All Last minute hotel accommodation deals
- See All DRIVING AROUND NEW ZEALAND
kiwigal_1's Related Pages
New Zealand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kia Ora - Aotearoa"
- "A Proud Local Shows You Around New Zealand!!!"
- "Antipodean Paradise"
- "Living and Travelling in New Zealand"
- "The most beautiful country in the world"
- "North & South Islands."
- "God's Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Zealand
- Hotels in New Zealand
- Transportation in New Zealand
- Nightlife in New Zealand
- Restaurants in New Zealand
- Shopping in New Zealand
- Warnings and Dangers in New Zealand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hyderabad Hotels
- United States of America
- Madina Hotels
- North America
- Restinga Smir Hotels
- Dockweiler Beach State Park Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in New Zealand
- 262 Reviews
- 413 Photos
- 85 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to New Zealand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Zealand
- Posted in Travel Santiago Forum "Re: Ski Rental"
- updated a New Zealand Travel Page "Aotearoa - New Zealand"
- Wrote a Review Kayaking in the Abel Tasman National Park in New Zealand Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kayaking in the Abel Tasman National Park"
- Commented on one of rozehill's New Zealand travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 56 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Region Intro, 66 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano Intro, 45 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arequipa Intro, 21 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Easter Island Intro, 22 reviews, 89 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Cruz Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 27 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machu Picchu Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos
Top New Zealand hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1042 Reviews - 2303 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 593 Reviews - 1272 Photos
- Queenstown Hotels
- 641 Reviews - 1706 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 480 Reviews - 1216 Photos
- Christchurch Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2614 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Paihia Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 263 Photos
- Kaikoura Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 681 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 200 Reviews - 520 Photos
- Dunedin Hotels
- 340 Reviews - 803 Photos
- Oamaru Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 101 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Rotorua- 42 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Queenstown- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Adventure Activities- 37 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Northland- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Auckland- 53 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Fiordland National Park- 23 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Canterbury- 35 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Christchurch- 19 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Bay of Islands- 22 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Wellington- 19 Reviews, 24 Photos
See All New Zealand Things to Do