" Tongariro National Park " Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park by kiwigal_1

Tongariro National Park Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 218 photos

The Tongariro Crossing

My first adventure in Tongariro National Park was in Easter, 2003 when I completed the Tongariro Crossing hike with a few friends.

We had planned to do the 8 hour crossing in two days including camping on the mountain and an acent of Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe. In the end we decided to do the crossing in the one day and camped at Mangonui-o-te-au River instead. We didn't climb Mt Ngauruhoe either!!
The walk was pretty difficult for me physically as I was overweight at the time (and not particularly fit!) but I think that pretty much anyone of average fitness can complete the walk.

In Easter 2006 I tacked the Crossing a second time. This time with a backpack and better fitness!! It was awesome!! Feel free to contact me with any questions relating to this magnificent walk.

Turoa Skifield

My most recent trip to Turoa was the winter of 2002. I was there for a snowboarding trip. The weather was pretty bad and visibility was low. I hear that spring is a really nice time to board here. You can access Turoa from Ohakune which is at the Southern end of Mt Ruapehu (pictured)

Whakapapa Skifield

When I was a little girl I came here with my family on our first family trip to somewhere other than the beach camping! It was fun tobagganing down the kiddies slopes in Happy Valley. Whakapapa is accessed from the town called National Park which is closer to Taupo and the northern end of Mt Ruapehu. This picture is of Mt Ruapehu from Taupo.

• Pros:Great place for hiking, skiing or snowboarding
  • Cons:Weather can close in quickly ruining your plans
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful wilderness area.
  • Last visit to Tongariro National Park: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2006

kiwigal_1 Visits Here Frequently!

kiwigal_1

“If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you already have.”

Badges & Stats in Tongariro National Park

Have you been to Tongariro National Park?

Latest Activity in Tongariro National Park