"TELA - HONDURAS" Top 5 Page for this destination Tela by kiwigal_1

Tela Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 160 photos

I lived in Tela, Honduras for a year (1994-1995) and returned again for 3 months over Christmas 1996. I have travelled a fair bit all over Honduras and think it is a fantastic country with a vibrant culture.
If you are planning a trip to Central America then you should definately consider Honduras as a place to go!

Tela is a small, coastal town that is slowly becoming an important beach resort in Honduras. It was not devastated as badly by Hurricane Mitch as other parts of Honduras were. Tela is located less than 90 km east of San Pedro Sula's International airport, and connected by an excellent paved highway, Tela is very easily reached from San Pedro Sula. If you are driving your own car, the driving time is under one hour from San Pedro Sula. If you are taking the public bus, make sure that you take one of the direct non stop buses to La Ceiba, and let the driver know you wish to get off at the entrance to Tela. From this point, you can easily catch a taxi to take you to the centre of town where you can find a variety of hotels. Tela is located within the department of Atlantida, of which La Ceiba, located 100 km. east is the capital. Tela has become famous for its beaches, however, there is much more to Tela than beaches. The home base for the Tela Railroad Company for many years, owners and producers of the famed Chiquita bananas, Tela retains the air of a true banana town. The Villas Telamar hotel complex was actually the living quarters to many the executives of the banana company. The Lancetilla Gardens is but one of the many assets left behind by the company that has since moved its quarters to La Lima, just outside of San Pedro Sula.
It is very easy to get around town, as it is quite small. Locals use bicycles as the preferred mode of transportation.

Please take the time to look at my various travelogues and see my other Honduras pages as I have put far more pictures and information there on the various places I have been in Honduras. In addition I have written as essay on my time on the AFS Student Exchange Programme.

• Pros:Located on a beautiful stretch of beach
  • Cons:Becoming more dangerous
  • In a nutshell:Tela is my home away from home - un pedacito de mi corazon estaria alli siempre!
  • Last visit to Tela: Jan 1997
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2003

• Jun 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I only recently learned that a high school friend of mine died in Tela on March 28, 1995. His name was Steve Markle. Did you by chance know him? The circumstances of his death are still a question mark to many of us. How would you recommend I research the facts? Is there a Telas newspaper or library? (Sorry that mine is not a happy post).

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Wonderful page, Rhianon. I enjoyed your memories of Tela a lot. Thank you for sharing.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Looks like you enjoyed your time here as a student.

• Nov 2, 2007 at 7:16 AM

i was surfing about san alejo n i saw this.i went to san alejo amreican school .and i was wondering what was your friends name maybe she was my teacher.i have also been to alncetilla like 10 times n i still like going there

• Mar 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Thanks for info, is quite detailed. I am considering visiting Tela in two months, Tela, is closer to San Pedro's Airport, I dont want to too much and Tela seems to have everything I looking for.. beach, warm weather and relaxation.. Gracias

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 11:58 AM

You seem to have had a great time in Honduras and I like your tips about the local people. I think its always best myself if you can meet some cool, interesting and trusting locals!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 6:01 PM

Great page I would love to see Honduras someday!

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 9:38 PM

Great to read about your AFS year (I went to Vienna in 1980). There's nothing like it to get one infected with the travel bug.

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2003 at 8:42 AM

Good pics in the TL.

kiwigal_1

“If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you already have.”

Badges & Stats in Tela