"United Kingdom Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom by Goner

United Kingdom Travel Guide: 95,208 reviews and 228,897 photos

A Trip I'll Never Forget
Fly Virgin

My long-time friend and confidant, Faye and I met for a long weekend in Las Vegas and I intimated to her that I was dreaming of a trip to Britain and Ireland, she said she would love to go. That's when we started plotting and planning long distance. The cost of the long distance calls and purchase of travel books, traveling clothes, suitcase on wheels and various other travel articles nearly wiped out my funds for the trip. To me planning a trip is one of the best parts.

Then I wasn't so sure I could go. In trying to get into shape, I pulled my right trapezes muscle and was on muscle relaxers and pain pills, but if I didn't go now I was afraid I would never go - so I bought my ticket.

Although this trip was taken in 1994, all of the information has been updated for 2003. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 22 - ENROUTE

We boarded Virgin Atlantic and settled in. The plane looked like a DC10 set up in a 737, too many seats for a wide body, no leg room either. I'm sure the male passengers were comforted by the pretty English stewardesses - Northwest Airlines should try importing some of these ladies.

Yes, there really were movie screens in the back of the seat in front of us, however, I needed glasses to see what was playing.

The food was typical. We did get printed menus and Virgin Atlantic coasters for our drinks. The best part was the little orange zippered ditty bag tucked into the seat pocket that held a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb etc., and our free headphones.

After we ate, we pretended it was night and snuggled in. After nine hours and twenty minutes we landed.

The Uniting of the United Kingdom

After the Roman invasion of 55BC Britain became exposed to the rest of Europe and then as the Roman’s strength declined, Britain was invaded by the Angles, Saxons and Jutes in the 5th and 6th centuries AD. The Normans took over in 1066 and brought development in political, administrative and culture areas and turned London into an economic center. They established a church, system of common law, university education and representative government. At that time both Wales and Scotland were independent kingdoms and fiercely resisted English rule. It was the English conquest of Wales that brought its succession under Edward I in 1282. To appease the Welsh, Edward's son (later Edward II), who had been born in Wales, was made Prince of Wales in 1301. The tradition of bestowing this title on the eldest son of the British monarch continues today. An act of 1536 completed the political and administrative union of England and Wales.

England and Scotland maintained separate parliaments while being ruled under one crown beginning in 1603, when James VI of Scotland succeeded his cousin Elizabeth I as James I of England. In the ensuing 100 years, strong religious and political differences divided the kingdoms. Finally, in 1707, England and Scotland were unified as Great Britain, sharing a single Parliament and flag (the "Union Jack").

Ireland's invasion by the Anglo-Normans in 1170 led to centuries of strife. Successive English kings sought to conquer Ireland. In the early 17th century, large-scale settlement of the north from Scotland and England began. Ireland slowly came under control and regulation by Britain. The legislative union of Great Britain and Ireland was completed on January 1, 1801, under the name of the United Kingdom. However, armed struggle for independence continued sporadically into the 20th century. The Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 established the Irish Free State, which subsequently left the Commonwealth and became a republic after World War II. Six northern, predominantly Protestant counties have remained part of the United Kingdom.

• In a nutshell:Wonderful Countries, with Friendly People!
  • Last visit to United Kingdom: Sep 1994
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2004

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM

What a whistle stop tour! I enjoyed your pages -particularly your take on Wales - my adopted country for over 50 years.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Just been back for a second read...your pages are very interesting. I have saved some of your tips...thanks

• Aug 29, 2007 at 8:44 AM

rockside can be found on www.rockside-guesthouse.co.uk - it is now a quality 4* guesthouse still retaining original features along with modern bedrooms & very friendly owners

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Great writing style - combination diary and details. Thanks for sharing!

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 8:51 PM

Don't forget: take the *** - lead someone on or make a joke. Safe travels!!!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 10:23 PM

Great pages, great stories. (I think that catamaran was built in Hobart, Tasmania)

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2004 at 10:06 PM

Nancy i really liked your style. United Kingdom is full of wonderful places and i am pleased that you enjoyed your trip.

• Jan 10, 2004 at 6:30 AM

Really great stuff you've got here - informative and extremely funny!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2003 at 9:31 PM

Those are all magnificent places, I hope I will come to visit them soon...

• RowanGBR's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2003 at 1:04 PM

I love your "Real English" tip - very funny!!

Goner

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness - M. Twain”

Badges & Stats in United Kingdom

Have you been to United Kingdom?

Latest Activity in United Kingdom