"Burlington, Vermont" Top 5 Page for this destination Burlington by Goner
Burlington Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 224 photos
Vermont's largest city, Burlington rests on Lake Champlain, minutes to water, mountains, camping and skiing. There is easy access to the city by auto (US 7 and I-89 at Exits 13 and 14, by rail (AMTRAK at Essex Junction); by water via private boat or ferry from Port Kent, New York; and by air through Burlington International Airport BTV).
Burlington was an important port in the 19th century and boasts a wealth of historic resources. The town was possibly named for the Earl of Burlington, though nobody could identify which of several Earls that might have been. It was Incorporated as a city in 1864, the original town was split into what is now the City of Burlington and a new town of South Burlington and a portion is now Williston.
Battery Street, near the waterfront and site of a ferry landing since the early 1800s, is known for its historic commercial and industrial buildings. More than 200 housing units in the King Street Neighborhood Historic District have been rehabilitated in recent years.
Around City Hall Park, there are public and commercial buildings, including the Colonial Revival style City Hall; the old Ethan Allen Firehouse; banks and the Art Deco Flynn Theater that have been restored. On Pearl there are handsome commercial buildings built in the early to mid 19th-century homes of Burlington's prosperous mercantile class.
Found throughout the "Hill Section" are many Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style residences of the late 19th and early 20th century, built by Burlington's well-to-do industrialists and businessmen. Many (if not most) of these are now fraternity or sorority houses or educational buildings associated with the University of Vermont and Champlain College.
Lake Champlain has a significant past in the history of New England. It's the birthplace of our Navy and for 65 years there were major battles fought here during the French Indian and the Revolutionary Wars.
The lake is an enormous, it extends into Canada and borders Vermont and New York State. It's 110 miles long and 12 miles at it's widest point. It is the 6th largest lake in the US.
Some Vermonters claim they have their own "Nessie" swimming in these waters.....
The Lake Champlain creature, Champ, has been seen near Port Henry for hundreds of years. Crypto-zoologists think the creature may be a plesiosaur, a large underwater reptile not seen since prehistoric times. Samuel de Champlain, explorer for whom the lake is named, sighted Champ in July 1609 and described the creature as a "20 foot serpent thick as a barrel with a head like a horse." Some believe that Champ is a large lake sturgeon.
- Pros:A Great Place to Spend a Weekend
- Cons:Maybe a Little Too Cold and Windy in the Winter!
- In a nutshell:A Picturesque and Friendly City to Visit
Burlington runs along Lake Champlain which seems to set the mood of Burlington. It's nearly always windy which makes the... more travel advice
This is a three diamont hotel. It has an indoor pool and whirlppool, plus an exercise facility. The only full service... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Burlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burlington, Vermont"
- "Welcome to Beautiful Vermont"
- "Burlington, VT"
- "Burlington - The Perfect Little City on the Lake"
- "Burlington Vermont"
- "A Winters Day at the Beach"
- "thoughts on burlington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burlington
- Hotels in Burlington
- Transportation in Burlington
- Nightlife in Burlington
- Restaurants in Burlington
- Shopping in Burlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Burlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burlington
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Burlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burlington
Photos in BurlingtonSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues