"IRELAND - The Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland by Goner
Ireland Travel Guide: 15,734 reviews and 35,459 photos
There are not enough adjectives in the English language to describe Ireland; enchanting, verdant, mystical, barren, lonely, lovely - the list goes on and on. You must visit Ireland, to feel it, to experience all it's hidden treasures - then you will find your own adjectives.
Second Visit - April 2008
I made the second trip to Ireland in April of 2008. I visited Dublin again where I saw so many changes; tower cranes, suburban housing and many more people on the street rushing along to their destinations. Their economy is now booming. I feel a twinge of regret; I don't want Ireland to change. Though there are changes all over the country, you will still thatched roofed homes in the countryside with verdant hills and valleys and the sparkling blue waters of lakes and the unruly Irish Sea. The Irish spirit is still there, also there is a resurgence of the Gaelic language.
This trip Cobh, Sligo, Donegal, Glenties, Londonderry and Belfast were added to the itinerary, and great choices they were as each has their own individual Irish charm.
This trip my friend Kathy and I traveled by train and bus, no nail-bitting car rides.
My long-time friend Faye and I met for a long weekend in Las Vegas and I intimated to her that I was dreaming of a trip to Ireland. She said she would love to go! We poured over travel books and decided to rent a car and go on our own, no tours for us. We had to limit our trip to the Republic as we had only five days for our visit. Then I wasn't so sure I could go. In trying to get into shape for the trip, I pulled my right trapezes muscle and was on muscle relaxers and pain pills, but if I didn't go then I was afraid I would never go, so I bought my airline ticket..
Tuesday, September 27 - from Cardiff, Wales to Rosslaire, Ireland
We were fortunate to meet a nice Irish family; Roger, Ellen, daughter Sharon and granddaughter Becky. We talked all the way on the train from Cardiff, Wales to the Fishguard Ferry Terminal about life in Ireland. Roger warned us about Ireland's bad roads, "when driving into a pothole in Ireland, dim your lights 'cause someone may driving out".
We followed Roger and family to the ferry terminal to board the Stena Sealink vessel for our trip across the Irish Sea. We took a tour of the Stena Sealink 10-deck vessel, but stayed on the 7th deck in the cafeteria for most of the three and one-half hour trip to Rosslare and visited with the Irish family (a great introduction to contemporary Irish culture).
I took time out to visit the salon to have a badly needed manicure and wax job. What a great time I had chatting with the manicurist who was from Hong Kong; we talked about all the world problems that are the same in nearly every country; drugs and politics.
Then back to the cafeteria with Roger and family. Before we disembarked, we needed Irish pounds from the moneychanger (incidently, the most expensive place to exchange $$ - go to a bank or ATM). He clued us in about the gangplank being broken and kindly suggested we slip down to the third-level elevator. We were the first ones off the ship, but then we were smashed into buses with the rest of the passengers and bussed to the Rosslaire ferry terminal. Sadly ,we lost our new-found friends in the chaos.
- Pros:A Country of Mystery, Green, and Quiet Places
- Cons:Driving There is Hazardous to Your Health
- In a nutshell:A Must Visit for Anyone With or Without Irish Heritage
The rooms seemed small but adequate. We were within walking distance of downtown and the tourist office. It seemed... more travel advice
The first thing you must do is take a tour on the one of the hop off - hop on buses. We took the City Tour, Dublin... more travel advice
- See All Real Irish Music
- See All Good Pub Grub
- See All Breathtaking Views at Every Turn
- Only Cows in the Burren
Goner's Related Pages
Ireland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my favorite places in Europe"
- "Ireland - I wouldn't start from here"
- "Leprechauns Make Me Do It!!!"
- "IRELAND - The Adventure"
- "My Ireland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ireland
- Hotels in Ireland
- Transportation in Ireland
- Nightlife in Ireland
- Restaurants in Ireland
- Shopping in Ireland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ireland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ireland
- 116 Reviews
- 260 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Ireland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ireland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues