"IRELAND - The Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland by Goner

Ireland Travel Guide: 15,734 reviews and 35,459 photos

Republic of Ireland

There are not enough adjectives in the English language to describe Ireland; enchanting, verdant, mystical, barren, lonely, lovely - the list goes on and on. You must visit Ireland, to feel it, to experience all it's hidden treasures - then you will find your own adjectives.

Second Visit - April 2008

I made the second trip to Ireland in April of 2008. I visited Dublin again where I saw so many changes; tower cranes, suburban housing and many more people on the street rushing along to their destinations. Their economy is now booming. I feel a twinge of regret; I don't want Ireland to change. Though there are changes all over the country, you will still thatched roofed homes in the countryside with verdant hills and valleys and the sparkling blue waters of lakes and the unruly Irish Sea. The Irish spirit is still there, also there is a resurgence of the Gaelic language.

This trip Cobh, Sligo, Donegal, Glenties, Londonderry and Belfast were added to the itinerary, and great choices they were as each has their own individual Irish charm.

This trip my friend Kathy and I traveled by train and bus, no nail-bitting car rides.

First Visit

The Plan

My long-time friend Faye and I met for a long weekend in Las Vegas and I intimated to her that I was dreaming of a trip to Ireland. She said she would love to go! We poured over travel books and decided to rent a car and go on our own, no tours for us. We had to limit our trip to the Republic as we had only five days for our visit. Then I wasn't so sure I could go. In trying to get into shape for the trip, I pulled my right trapezes muscle and was on muscle relaxers and pain pills, but if I didn't go then I was afraid I would never go, so I bought my airline ticket..

On Our Way

Tuesday, September 27 - from Cardiff, Wales to Rosslaire, Ireland

We were fortunate to meet a nice Irish family; Roger, Ellen, daughter Sharon and granddaughter Becky. We talked all the way on the train from Cardiff, Wales to the Fishguard Ferry Terminal about life in Ireland. Roger warned us about Ireland's bad roads, "when driving into a pothole in Ireland, dim your lights 'cause someone may driving out".

We followed Roger and family to the ferry terminal to board the Stena Sealink vessel for our trip across the Irish Sea. We took a tour of the Stena Sealink 10-deck vessel, but stayed on the 7th deck in the cafeteria for most of the three and one-half hour trip to Rosslare and visited with the Irish family (a great introduction to contemporary Irish culture).

I took time out to visit the salon to have a badly needed manicure and wax job. What a great time I had chatting with the manicurist who was from Hong Kong; we talked about all the world problems that are the same in nearly every country; drugs and politics.

Then back to the cafeteria with Roger and family. Before we disembarked, we needed Irish pounds from the moneychanger (incidently, the most expensive place to exchange $$ - go to a bank or ATM). He clued us in about the gangplank being broken and kindly suggested we slip down to the third-level elevator. We were the first ones off the ship, but then we were smashed into buses with the rest of the passengers and bussed to the Rosslaire ferry terminal. Sadly ,we lost our new-found friends in the chaos.

• Pros:A Country of Mystery, Green, and Quiet Places
  • Cons:Driving There is Hazardous to Your Health
  • In a nutshell:A Must Visit for Anyone With or Without Irish Heritage
  • Last visit to Ireland: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2008

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Ireland is a favorite place for us as well. nicely done.

• KatieMay0317's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Oooh and we are rentin a car as well and driving the Ring of Kerry. I very well may have a panic attack driving the Ring after reading what you said..I need to prepare for the narrow roads...and the sheep....ha, ha! Thanks for the warnings!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2008 at 1:57 AM

You have gone to a lot of trouble and care in making your pages on Ireland. What fantastic photos, and there are such beautiful B and B's there..

• donpaul77's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Really nice pages on Ireland! I love the way you give tips in the form of journal entries. Ireland is my favorite place in the world!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM

loved your page with its great writing, good tips and photos

• LisaPACS's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 7:02 AM

What a fun and informative read this was! Your writing and pics are super! Thanks for sharing--a big help in planning my trip for Ireland next month!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 11:10 PM

Great travel diary! Ireland is such a beautiful country!

• Leester's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 7:46 AM

I've just come back from Ireland and I'm browsing other people's Ireland pages. Loved yours! Well done, and thanks!

• Eilian's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 6:25 PM

Thanks for sharing, Nancy. Great page!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 4:05 AM

I will have to come back to your pages as I must go out now, they are brilliantly put together, a superb read, I am over there on Thursday in Wexford I'll look for that batty car :-)))

Goner

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness - M. Twain”

Badges & Stats in Ireland

Have you been to Ireland?

Latest Activity in Ireland