San Juan Capistrano Things to Do Tips by Goner Top 5 Page for this destination
San Juan Capistrano Things to Do: 83 reviews and 203 photos
In the Los Rio Historic district is Jones Mini Farm, a small farm where children can see the animals
Address: Los Rios Street & Del Obispo Street
Directions: In the Los Rios District across the railroad tracks.
The various Mission Museum period rooms display the living quarters and objects during the time the Mission was in use. In the South Wing Museum, the simple quarters of the padres is show with a small bedroom and study. The dining room exhibits John Forster, a rancher who resided at the Mission in the mid-19th century.
Address: Ortega Hwy at Camino Capsitrano
Directions: TAke the Ortega Hwy exit off the 5 freeway
The vegetable garden was nearly as pretty as the flower gardens and I didn't see any bugs.
Volunteers called the "Mission's Gardening Angels" gather weekly to maintain and beautify the Mission gardens.
Directions: The vegetable garden is along side the kitchen area of the Mission
They are still excavating the Mission compound and are finding many of the original rooms and work areas. There is an architectural office at the back of the mission. Since the 70's they have found over 4,000 pieces of pottery and other artifacts.
The picture is of the metal furnance, the first in California.
Interior of the Catholic Church
This Catholic church sits directly behind San Juan Capistrano Mission. I haven't found any historical data on the church, but it appears to be nearly as old as the Mission. The interior is domed, with such graceful arches. The gray walls are painted with flowers similiar to mission churches. The paintings hung in the church seem old also. The chandeliers are made of panes of glass instead of crystals, a distinctive design.
Address: 31522 Camino Capistrano
Directions: Behind San Juan Mission.
This statue is located in front of the Great Stone Church and is of Father Serra and the Indian Boy, the famous statue denotes the meeting of cultures.
San Juan Capistrano Chapel
In the Serra Chapel the 350-year old golden Baroque alter was sent from Spain. Notice how brilliant the gold is in the photo. The Chapel was built in 1776-78 and is the oldest building in California. In the early 1920's it was restored by Father St. John O'Sullivan, pastor of the Mission from 1910-33. He was dubbed "the great restorer of the mission". The silver processional pieces were brought by Father Serra from Mexico.
Directions: Inside the Mission of San Juan Capistrano Mission compond.
West Wing Museum
The museum rooms are located in the West Wing. They were rebuilt in 1970-74 and contain an autovisual room and bookstore.
Directions: In the Mission Compound.
The bells were originally hung in the tower of the Great Stone Church until the earthquake of 1812. The large bells date back to 1796 and the small bells to 1804. These were the clocks of the mission calling people to meals, work and religions services.
Directions: Behind the Great Stone Church.
The Great Stone Church
With local Indian labor this monumental church took nine years to build. It was begun in 1797 and dedicated in 1806, the church only stood for 6 years before a massive earthquake in 1812 toppled the chuch killing 40 Indian worshippers inside. The church has never been rebuilt and is refered to as the "American Acropolis". As funds are raised the church will be rebuilt in the future. Scaffolding has been erected displacing many of the mud nests of the swallows decreasing the numbers that revisit San Juan Capistrano.
Directions: Inside San Juan Capistrano compound.
More Reviews (12)
Goner's Related Pages
San Juan Capistrano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ San Juan Capistrano ~"
- "Historic San Juan Capistrano"
- "San Juan Capistrano"
- "Make a Pilgrimage to California's Missions"
- "San Juan Capistrano"
- "San Juan Capistrano - CA - USA"
- "Beautiful San Juan Capistrano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Juan Capistrano
- Hotels in San Juan Capistrano
- Transportation in San Juan Capistrano
- Nightlife in San Juan Capistrano
- Restaurants in San Juan Capistrano
- Shopping in San Juan Capistrano
- Warnings and Dangers in San Juan Capistrano
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mahad Hotels
- Lahat Hotels
- Semmering Hotels
- Ilha do Ibo Hotels
- Estado do Rio de Janeiro
Badges & Stats in San Juan Capistrano
- 24 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to San Juan Capistrano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Juan Capistrano
Photos in San Juan CapistranoSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest San Juan Capistrano hotel reviews
- Mission Inn
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2008
- Great Stone Church- 30 Reviews, 89 Photos
- San Juan Capistrano Mission- 8 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Mission Basilica- 2 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Los Rios District- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
- O'Neil Museum- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Serra Chapel- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Zoomars Petting Zoo- 1 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Sacred Garden- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- San Juan Catholic Church- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Swallows Day Parade- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All San Juan Capistrano Things to Do