Saint Andrews Off The Beaten Path Tips by Goner Top 5 Page for this destination
Saint Andrews Off The Beaten Path: 4 reviews and 4 photos
"The Bunker" has been Scotland’s best kept secret for over 40 years, until now - a bunker designed for the cold war is hidden beneath a Scottish Farmhouse. A tunnel leads you to a 24,000 sq ft bunker accommodation on two levels, 100 feet underground.
You can walk down the 150m entrance tunnel, through the hermetically sealed 3 ton blast proof doors into an environment which reveals one of the darkest periods of Scotland’s history and the worlds. You can choose one of the seven sections available here and explore the Bunker. It still contains much of its original equipment, a testament to the skill of the engineers who built and maintained the plant.
To filter the air against radioactive particles; gas and biological warfare, the plant moves 1500 cubic meter's of air every minute. This changes the entire air contents of the bunker every 15 minutes. In the event of a fire a smoke system can remove smoke at a rate of 2200 cubic meter's a minute (52 000 cubic ft) and there is a 24 hour fire detection system in operation. Air can be refrigerated/heated, ozonated/deozonated, humidified and de-humidified.
The bunker retains a natural temperature of 18 degrees celsius with little variation. To run the heating system alone would cost over £200 per hour.
In the event of a power failure the bunker has its own emergency generator that can produce 750kva for up to three months! That is enough to supply the coastal villages in Fife.
We didn't visit here - wish we would have known about it when we were in Scotland. I found this information while researching Scotland's history and thought it might be an interesting "Off the Beaten Path" activity. They even have the canteen open as a restaurant, you can book parties and it's even been a rock concert venue.
Located on B1940 between Locrity & Crail
Open from: Sat 27th March 2004 , until the end of October, 7 days a week 10am last Admission 5pm Close 6:00pm.
They have a unique website to visit for more details..
Phone: Tel:01333 310301
More Reviews (9)
Goner's Related Pages
Saint Andrews Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St Andrews and the Kingdom of Fife"
- "St. Andrews, Where Golf Began"
- "Kingdom of FIFE"
- "Oldest Scottish University City"
- "Saint Andrews"
- "St Andrews, Scotland"
- "A Visit to St Andrews"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Andrews
- Hotels in Saint Andrews
- Transportation in Saint Andrews
- Restaurants in Saint Andrews
- Shopping in Saint Andrews
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Andrews
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Saint Andrews?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Andrews
Photos in Saint AndrewsSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues