"St. Andrews, Where Golf Began" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Andrews by Goner
Saint Andrews Travel Guide: 163 reviews and 328 photos
St. Andrews lies on Scotland's east coast 55 miles north of Edinburgh on a promontory of land that juts out into the North Sea between the waters of the Firth of Forth and the long estuary of the River Tay. It’s a small town of a mere 15,000 residents all contained within a very few square miles. It doesn't take much more than a bicycle or small car to soon be out in the surrounding farms and villages of East Fife. A hike along the Fife Coastal Path will take you out along the beautiful cliffs and beaches.
If you're a golfer making a pilgrimage to the land where golf began - when the golfing is done, take time to see what a pretty medieval town this is.
The ancient city on Scotland's east coast has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. Legend claims that the bones of St Andrew were brought from Patras in Greece by a monk called Regulus in about AD 390. Historical evidence says the relics came with a bishop fleeing from England almost 400 years later. The city which took his name brought pilgrims from all parts of the world. St. Andrew became the patron saint of Scotland and the city grew in size, prestige and wealth. As early as 1123 the famous stretch of linksland which had been left by the receding waters of the North Sea was granted by King David I to the bishops who controlled St Andrews.
The country's oldest university was founded here in 1413 and golf was believed to be a popular sport at that time. In 1457 King James II banned the game by act of the Scottish Parliament because archery practice was neglected and archery was their major defense against their enemies.
By the beginning of the 16th century the population had grown to 14,000 and at times of religious and commercial festivals more than 300 ships would fill the small harbour and crowd St Andrews Bay. Local golfers shared the links with monarchs, ambassadors, bishops and university academics. Mary Queen of Scots and James VI were both visitors to the town.
Yet the reformation stripped St Andrews of its religious significance, the university was in danger of being moved to Perth and the cathedral once attended by Robert the Bruce lay in ruins when the Society of St Andrews Golfers, later to become the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, was formed in 1754.
Within a century the fortunes of the ancient city had been restored and its reputation as the Home of Golf firmly established. Today it attracts golfers who want to play on the oldes surviving golf course.
- Pros:Where Golf Began
- Cons:Pretty Windy Course
- In a nutshell:Every Golfer Should Visit St. Andrews
We were lucky to arrive in St. Andrews on a beautiful sunshiney day. The wind was brisk, but it was in October. We were... more travel advice
Since I didn't play the course here is the words of an avid golfer: "The Old Course at St. Andrews is a classic "out... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Saint Andrews Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St Andrews and the Kingdom of Fife"
- "St. Andrews, Where Golf Began"
- "Kingdom of FIFE"
- "Oldest Scottish University City"
- "Saint Andrews"
- "St Andrews, Scotland"
- "St Andrews"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Andrews
- Hotels in Saint Andrews
- Transportation in Saint Andrews
- Restaurants in Saint Andrews
- Shopping in Saint Andrews
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint Andrews
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Saint Andrews?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Andrews
Photos in Saint AndrewsSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Saint Andrews hotel reviews
- Tudor Inn
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Russell Hotel
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Old Course Hotel St Andrews
- 535 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Fairmont St Andrews
- 979 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Rufflets Country House
- 489 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Ardgowan Hotel
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Old Course Hotel Golf Resort
- 536 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Six Murray Park
- 315 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013