"STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery" Top 5 Page for this destination Stonehenge by Goner
Stonehenge Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 622 photos
Stonehenge is at the center of one of the richest prehistoric landscapes in the world. It is unique and from the early times has awed vistors as one of the wonders of Britian. Successive generations have broken up and removed stones to build houses and roads. In order to protect his monument for future genrations the care of it was taken over by the State in 1918.
Visitors have also caused damage to the stones, in particular, the softer bluestones. Therefore it has been roped off and when I was there you were not allowed to touch the stones and were requested to stay within the roped path - this does allow you to take photos of the stones without people miling about.
In 1984, Stonehenge was givien World Heritage Site status by UNESCO. The English Heritage and the National Trust now own about 1500 acres of land around Stonehenge and are trying to perserve the monument.
This map shows the directions from the village of Salisbury.
- Pros:A Mystical Ring of Rocks
- Cons:Not Much Else to See There
- In a nutshell:A Prehistoric Wonder
The closest the train gets to Stonehenge is Salisbury. You can drive, or take the Wilts & Dorset bus from the Salisbury... more travel advice
Stonehenge in southwestern England, dates from the late Stone and early Bronze ages (about 3000-1000 BC). The monument,... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Stonehenge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Stones, At Last!"
- "Ancient Monuments"
- "Stonehenge, my least favorite daytrip from London"
- "STONEHENGE The Prehistoric Mystery"
- "A sacred site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stonehenge
- Hotels in Stonehenge
- Transportation in Stonehenge
- Restaurants in Stonehenge
- Shopping in Stonehenge
- Warnings and Dangers in Stonehenge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stonehenge
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Stonehenge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stonehenge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues