Burano Things to Do Tips by Goner
Burano Things to Do: 97 reviews and 189 photos
The museum opened its doors in 1981, in the former building of the School of Lace founded in 1872 by the Countess Adriano Marcello. You can admire all the beautiful lace produced on this island for centuries. On exhibit: some very valuable pieces, drawings, photographs, personal journals and work techniques.
Needlepoint lace, which was born in Venice in the second half of the 15th century, actually derives from embroidery. It is inspired from those stitches that create transparency in the design (punto tagliato). Needlepoint lace is done using a cylindrical cushion.
In the early 20th century, the school had become so popular it was a veritable little corporation. But in the 30s, lace began to lose its popularity and the school closed 30 years later.
The museum is open Wednesday to Monday 10am to 4pm (to 5pm Apr-Oct). Admission is 4€ ($3.55).
Directions: in the center of the village at Piazza Baldassare Galuppi
The women's fingers just fly when they are working. The pattern is pinned on a pillow. Underneath this pattern a piece of wood helps the laceworker to pick up the thread more easily by the needle. A further advantage is that the worker has both hands free to make the stitch and give the tension needed and do this in the right direction.
Address: Piazza Galuppi, 105
Directions: In the main plaza
Phone: 041/ 730283
More Reviews (4)
Goner's Related Pages
Burano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burano – colour your soul"
- "Burano - land of thousands colours"
- "United Colours of ....Burano!"
- "Burano - Colourful Little Island of the Lagoon"
- "Colourful Burano"
- "Bold, Beautiful, But Buggy, Burano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burano
- Transportation in Burano
- Nightlife in Burano
- Restaurants in Burano
- Shopping in Burano
- Warnings and Dangers in Burano
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Pedro de Alcántara
- Tarituba Hotels
- Gabon Hotels
- Bald Head Island
- Giv`atayim Hotels
- Rapu Rapu Island Hotels
- Torre Pellice
Badges & Stats in Burano
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Burano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burano
Photos in BuranoSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues