"Mont St Michel - "The Marvel of the Western World"" Top 5 Page for this destination Mont Saint Michel by Goner
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 1,100 photos
When first seeing the great Mont from afar it looks like a mirage floating on the distant horizon. The mirage disappears when you see the parking lot full of cars and people milling about. Over 3 million tourists and pilgrims visit this monument during the year - I think most of them were there when we arrived. In August, the narrow winding streets are filled to capacity making it difficult to photograph the hidden charm along the pathway to the cathedral. But, don't let this deter you from seeing one of the most enchanting sites in France. The Mont St Michel is one of France's most well known and (most photographed) landmarks and enjoys a wonderful setting, rich in in history and well known for its characteristic architecture, rich farmland, and gastronomic specialties.
Listed by UNESCO as part of the World Heritage, the abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel is the monument for everyone.
In 708, Aubert, Bishop of Avranches erected the chapel on this site because of a dream in which he saw the Archangel Michael who commanded him to build a church on the rock in his honor. And when the bishop dared to express doubts, the Archangel thrust a finger through his skull! Of course, the Abbey took on the name Mont Saint Michel.
Le Mont-Saint-Michel, is connected by a causeway to the mainland sitting in the Gulf of Saint-Malo. The island of Mont-Tombre (Tomb on the Hill) stands at the mouth of the Couresnon River and lays strategically between the regions of Normandy and Brittany.
- Pros:An outstanding icon of France you shouldn't miss
- Cons:Very crowded and hot in the month of August
- In a nutshell:Truly a Marvel of the Western World
There are inns and hotels located within the Mont St. Michel fortress. One I found on the Intenet was the La Mere... more travel advice
The Mont is located 180 miles northwest of Paris. It can be reached by car (A11 & A81 west to Rennes, N175 Pontorson)... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place that simply redefines 'awesome'!"
- "Mont St Michel - "The Marvel of the Western World""
- "Merveille de l’Occident"
- "A wonderful corner of France"
- "A shock for the eyes and the soul"
- "Le Mont Saint Michel, the western wonder"
- "Mont St-Michel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mont Saint Michel
- Hotels in Mont Saint Michel
- Transportation in Mont Saint Michel
- Nightlife in Mont Saint Michel
- Restaurants in Mont Saint Michel
- Shopping in Mont Saint Michel
- Warnings and Dangers in Mont Saint Michel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mont Saint Michel
- 18 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Mont Saint Michel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mont Saint Michel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues