"Tivoli" Top 5 Page for this destination Tivoli by Goner
Tivoli Travel Guide: 172 reviews and 586 photos
Tivoli is probably the most popular excursion from Rome and should not be missed. It's less than an hour's drive and and what awaits you are the most beautiful gardens and fountains in all of Italy.
Tivoli is situated on the Aniene river to the east of Rome, in the Monti Tiburtini hills where the climate is fresher than Rome's. For this reason, the area was popular from ancient times onwards with Roman nobles, who would build summer retreats here. As the town was on a major trading route from Rome to the Abruzzi, Tivoli has always been an important settlement. The fourth century BC town wall is still visible, as are temples from the second century BC.
It's a lovely hilltop town with narrow medieval streets and lovely views of the surrounding countryside.
Tivoli Tourist Information Office is in Piazza Garibaldi close to the main bus stop and the Villa d'Este. Even if it's closed, you may be able to pick up maps and information.
Tourist Information: Largo Garibaldi. Tel: + 39 0774 334522
- Pros:A Calm Respite from the Busy Streets of Rome
- In a nutshell:One of Roman's Treasures
Many people had brought there lunch and lazed on the lawn and really enjoyed the magnificent surroundings. more travel advice
Although Hadrian's Villa was exquisite in design the 500 fountains of Villa d'Este are a marvel. Although they are said... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Tivoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tivoli Taster"
- "DAY TRIP TO TIVOLI"
- "Tivoli - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Tivoli's villas"
- "Up in the hills........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tivoli
- Hotels in Tivoli
- Transportation in Tivoli
- Restaurants in Tivoli
- Shopping in Tivoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tivoli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tivoli
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Tivoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivoli
Photos in TivoliSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues