"Chenonceaux - Chateau of the Dames" Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau by Goner
Chenonceau Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 434 photos
Besides being architecturally stunning, this castle has such an interesting history of the women during its time. The women responsible for Chenonceau each left their mark. Catherine Briconnet, wife of the first owner, built the turreted pavillion and one of the first straight staircases in France here: Henri II's mistress, Diane de Poitiers, added the formal gardens and arched bridge over the Cher River; Catherine de Medici transformed the bridge into an Italian style gallery (having evicted Diane following her husband's death in 1559); Louise de Lorraine, bereaved wife of Henri III, inherited the chateau in 1590 and painted the ceilings black and white, the colors of royal mourning; Madame Dupin, a cultured 18th-century chatelain, saved the chateau from destruction during the Revolution; and Madame Pelouse undertook a complete restoration in 1863. (a portion of this is quoted from Eyewitness Travel Guide on France)
As you can see on the map, Chennonceau is off Route 10 not far from the Town of Tours.
Chenonceaux is located 224 kilometers from Paris and 35 kilometers from Tours, in the department of Indre-et-Loire.
There are shows of light and sound at Chenonceaux on selected nights during the summer. Call the number below for more information.
* July: 10:00pm.
* August through mid-September: 10:00pm.
Entrance Price to the castle tour: 50F (40F children 7 to 15)
Phone: 02 47 23 90 07
- Pros:A Charming Castle with a very Interesting History
- In a nutshell:A Castle You Don't Want to Miss!!!
I found the kitchen to be most interesting. A door opens to the river below where fresh fish and other food was... more travel advice
The hall is covered with a series of rib vaults whose keystones, detached from each other, form a broken line. The... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Chenonceau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ladies Castle"
- "Chenonceau: With an ‘X’ and Without One."
- "Chenonceaux - Chateau of the Dames"
- "The most feminine of castles"
- "Moscow - Chenonceau"
- "Chenonceaux Palais sur le Cher"
- "Chenonceau has the most beautiful castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chenonceau
- Hotels in Chenonceau
- Transportation in Chenonceau
- Nightlife in Chenonceau
- Restaurants in Chenonceau
- Warnings and Dangers in Chenonceau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chenonceau
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Chenonceau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chenonceau
Photos in ChenonceauSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues