"Limoges" Top 5 Page for this destination Limoges by Goner
Limoges Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 89 photos
Limoges, Limousin province, is a city, situated about 250 miles southwest of Paris in the Vienne Valley with a population around 140,000. It's famous for its ceramics industry; the city's porcelain workshops employ more than 10,000 people.
It was this world renown porcelain that made Limoges a stop during our trip through France. The shops there are like art museums, with a variety of porcelain dishes, dainty little boxes and statues, each one intrically and beautifully done - works of art.
The 12th century Limoges was a seat of the viscounty of Limoges and in 1589 was the capital of Limousin province. It has a history of war, pestilence, and famine; in 1370, Edward the Black Prince burned the city and massacred its inhabitants. The famous Limoges enamel industry was fully developed by this time thanks to the work of Léonard Limousin. Due to the devastation during the Wars of Religion, the industry did declined, however the ruler Turgot, brought back Limoges’ prosperity in 1771 by introducing the china manufactures.
In 1768, Macquer, a Limoges chemist, had found a kind of white clay called "kaolin". By 1830, there were 30 porcelain factories. David Haviland, an American merchant, arrived in Limoges and founded his own factory. In 1880, when Haviland was awarded an International Exhibition, Limoges was the most appreciated porcelain factory in Europe and in America.
- Pros:A town with sooo much beautiful porcelain
- Cons:Not enought money to buy everything you want
- In a nutshell:If you're a Limoge lover, this is the place for you
Limoges is the capital of Haute-Vienne department of the Limousin region in France. It sits on the picturesque right... more travel advice
Les Halles, the covered market is a nineteenth-century iron and glass structure. The alleyways inside are full of... more travel advice
Goner's Related Pages
Limoges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pierre_Rouss's Limoges and Perigord Page"
- "A Very Tranquil Area"
- "Limoges and Limousin - France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Limoges
- Hotels in Limoges
- Transportation in Limoges
- Nightlife in Limoges
- Restaurants in Limoges
- Shopping in Limoges
- Warnings and Dangers in Limoges
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Limoges
- 10 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Limoges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Limoges
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 68 reviews, 141 photos, 5 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 18 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 48 reviews, 52 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 43 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- France Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 35 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 26 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Capistrano Intro, 24 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues