"My Lhasa Page written in 2000 of my Trips '86/'87" Lhasa by budapest8
Lhasa Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,184 photos
I was cleaning up my cupboards at home
and found a few old photos from my 1986/'87 trips
check out the travelogues on the right!I will write down
some more facts about my visits to Lhasa later on,
I just want to post a few pics. for the time being.
I passed through Lhasa 4 times enroute to Katmandu via Shigatse
and rented a Toyota Land Cruiser from the Chinese.
We landed in the morning and twice we stayed overnight in Lhasa,
and the other times we hit the road. We drove to the
Nepalese border (which took more than 4 days with the local bus),
but we must have held some sort of a record with a day and
a half in the Toyota only stopping 6 hours to sleep.
Always have some toilet paper on hand unless your
used to the can with water and left hand way!
have a look here at my home page outside this site
but I think they died since I started at VT
OLD WEBSITE WITH INFO
Text of a notice posted in all Lhasa Hotels in June 1994.
Similar notices have been posted regularly since 1987: The notice is reproduced word for word:
Ladies and Gentleman Welcome to Lhasa.
So that you may have a safe and enjoyable travels,
we would like you to be aware of the following government regulations:
1) Foreigners travelling in China must abide by Chinese law
and must not endanger the national security of China,
harm its Public interests, disturb the Public order,
or engage in any other acticvities incompatible with tourists status.
2) If Chinese citizens are holding a rally or demonstration,
it is strictly forbideden for foreigners to participation, follow
along with, take pictures or video film any of these affairs.
Foreigners are not allowed to interfere in Chinese internal affairs.
3) Foreigners are forbidden to distribute any propaganda
material and join in any religious activity.
4) In accordance with regulations, foreigner tourists must
go through all registration formalities and stay only at a
designated hotel. Without prior permission it is forbidden
to travel in unopened areas, to use undesignated transportation,
to operate individual business or privately take up an occupation.
5) It's forbidden to visit and photograph the sky burial site
according to the local government's regulations for the minority
nationality's habits and customs. The tourist who breaks the
regulation will be punished strictly.
6) For safety reasons, it is strictly forbidden for foreign tourists
to travel by tractor or other privately operated means of transport.
If by any hance a traffic accident happens, under these circumstances
you will be responsible for your own actions and the results.
7) Valuables should deposit in checkroom, otherwise, the hotel
won't be responsible for the loss.
Bureau of Foreign Affairs & Tourism of Lhasa [with stamp in
Chinese and Tibetan]
Travel Bureau of ChendGuan District
Division of Aliens and Exit-Entry
[with stamp in Chinese and Tibetan]
Admistration Lhasa P.S.B [
with stamp in Chinese and Tibetan]
June 17 1994
- Pros:A real Shangri La for Travelers
- Cons:Very overated and baren
- In a nutshell:The city at the roof of the world
Nothing like a real tragedy or crisis where people are suffering to bring those couch potatoes out of the woodwork and... more travel advice
PSB 's Racket When I was traveling to Lhasa flying in from Chengdu then renting a TLC (Toyota Land Cruiser) we were... more travel advice
budapest8's Related Pages
Lhasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lhasa, the pilgrim capital of Tibet"
- "LHASA AT LHAST!"
- "Lhasa, the capital of pilgrims"
- "Go to Lhasa before its ruined!!!"
- "Lhasa! Lookie Lookie!"
- "A close call in Lhasa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lhasa
- Hotels in Lhasa
- Transportation in Lhasa
- Nightlife in Lhasa
- Restaurants in Lhasa
- Shopping in Lhasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Lhasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lhasa
- 14 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Lhasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lhasa
- Posted in Travel Budapest Forum "Re: from airport to train station"
- updated a Lhasa Travel Page "My Lhasa Page written in 2000 of my Trips '86/'87"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Renting Toyota Land Cruiser for traveling to Nepal"
- Wrote a Review Riots in Lhasa in Lhasa Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Confucius's Lhasa travel pages
Photos in LhasaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (129)
Latest Lhasa hotel reviews
- Lhasa Hotel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Kyichu Hotel (Jiqu Fandian)
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Tibet Brahmaputra Grand Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- House of Shambhala
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2012
- Lhasa Manasarovar Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 1, 2011
- Jin Bo Grand Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2012
- Yak Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Shang Bala
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2012
- Tibet Xiong Bala
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2010
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2012
- Lhasa Century Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2007
- Mandala Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013