"Xigatse or Shigatse as we called it back in 86/87" Xigaze by budapest8
Xigaze Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 193 photos
We made the run from Lhasa to Khatmandu four times
and passed through or stopped for a pit stop in
the town of Shigatse on the way to the Tibetan/Nepalese
border at Zhangmu then entering Nepal down through
no mans land before crossing the gorge and river over the
Friendship Bridge and entering Nepal proper at Kodari.
Well it was 21 years ago so have to dredge my memory
a bit for my impressions of this far away city on my RTW
1 year trip.
Shigatse means in Tibetan 'the fertile land'. Covering an area of over 3875 square kilometers , this is the second largest city in Tibet. It sits on a plain at the confluence of the Yarlong Tsangpo and Nyangchu Rivers, where Tibet's most fertile land is to be found. Shigatse is a typical living area for minority nationalities, with the biggest ethnic group being Tibetan. The population of Shigatse City is about 100,000 and about 97% of which are Tibetan.
Shigatse is one of the world's highest cities
with beautiful high plateau scenery.
It is also a hub for Chinese tourism in Tibet now.
The average elevation here is in a range of 3840 meters.
Because of it's elevation and postion, the weather is a lot
more extreme than Bognor Regis Beach on a wet and rainny day.
I remember that through some of the mountain road passes as we
headed south to Tingri and Zhangmu, the weather changed to being
sunny and bright to an immediate change to a snowstorm and very
strong winds and thoughts of, "if we break down here, we ain't gonna
survive walking outta here"!
- Pros:Plenty of fresh air and a good place to break the journey.
- Cons:Not a good place for good weather if not in the Summer months.
budapest8's Related Pages
Xigaze Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shigatse - home of the Tashilhunpo Monastery"
- "Xigaze, the Panchen Lama residence"
- "XIGAZE OR SHIGATSE - EITHER WAY, GASUNHEIT!"
- "Sharrie's Xigaze Holiness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xigaze
- Hotels in Xigaze
- Transportation in Xigaze
- Restaurants in Xigaze
- Shopping in Xigaze
- See All...
Explore the World
- Salt River Hotels
- Laguna Beach
- Whitewater State Park Hotels
- Binan Hotels
- Kanton Basel-Landschaft
- Bishops Stortford
- Ko Kho Khao
- Entebbe Animal and Bird Sanctuary Hotels
- Estado de Chihuahua Hotels
- Valdanos Hotels
- Tinh Ca Mau
- Tanga Region
Badges & Stats in Xigaze
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Xigaze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xigaze
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues