"One of last undiscovered gems in Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj by budapest8
Ulcinj Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 295 photos
Heaps of TIPS/PICS/and lots more ....
Ulcinj..Pirate Fortress and beautiful beaches
%%%%%%%%%%% %%% %%%%%%
FOR Ada Bojana Island tips
UPLOADING SOME VIDEOS TOO
Ulcinj is one of the oldest towns on the Montenegrin coast
and is very well preserved. The old town (Stari Grad) is
surrounded with old walls and towers and it´s like an old
fortress or castle over looking the sea.
The beautiful scenic old-walled fortress town of Stari Grad Ulcinj
or simply Stari Grad was founded in the 5th century BC by
the Colchinians who gave it its first name of Colchinium.
The term Colchians is used as the collective term for early
Georgian tribes which populated the eastern coast of the Black Sea.
In the 2nd century (163 BC) it was captured by the Romans
from the Illyrian tribe, the Olchiniatas and the ancient city of
Colchinium became Olchinium.
Before the Colchinians, the Illyrians, a people of Indo-European origin,
were active in the Ulcinj South Coast region since prehistoric times.
Then under Roman rule Olchinium was granted a special status,
as a city with special privileges (opida civium romanorum) and later on
as a city with independent status (Municipia).Thus because of its
exceptional geographical position, the layout of the land,
and its mild climate it has always been a target of many of the
great conquerors of history.
Ever since my trip to Albania and taking the
Podgarica to Shkodra route through the Honi Hoti
border crossing and not the Bar to Ulcinj then Shkodra
via Sukobin border crossing, I have dreamed of coming
to Ulcinj and staying in the old pirate town in the old city.
With MAV (Hungarian Railways) offering a special ticket
for €66 for a return open ticket to Montenegro and €33
for children, I made my mind up to travel to Ulcinj with my
daughter who just turned 12.
The 1979 Montenegro earthquake devastated Ulcinj
and almost all of the buildings in Stari Grad had
to be rebuilt. The centuries old Balšić Tower in
Ulcinj nearly collapsed as a result of the earthquake.
The families of Stari Grad still remember the
If I had the money, I would try and buy an apartment
or house in the old city and move here like a shot...
Give me mountains and seaside any day compared
to a flat land locked land.
- Pros:Beautiful beaches, friendly people, cheaper accom than the rest of Montenegro
- Cons:Not a very good health system
We spent about 10 days on and off living at Zuto's in the old town, and must say that our walks down to the rest of... more travel advice
Beach hawkers selling stuffed pheasants and ducks, a crew of 3 with a monkey shouting as they moving along the... more travel advice
- The 1979 Earthquake that shook things up
- See All Ulcinj has many villages and towns
- See All Zuto Apartments
- See All Nature calls and public toilets in...
budapest8's Related Pages
Ulcinj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of last undiscovered gems in Europe"
- "Ulcinj - Ulqin"
- "ulcinj-very lively and interesting place."
- "ULCINJ-TOWN WITH SOUL"
- "Montenegro's best beach"
- "Ulcinj - worth the trip down the coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ulcinj
- Hotels in Ulcinj
- Transportation in Ulcinj
- Nightlife in Ulcinj
- Restaurants in Ulcinj
- Shopping in Ulcinj
- Warnings and Dangers in Ulcinj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ulcinj
- 22 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Ulcinj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ulcinj
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Could you please support our..."
- Commented on one of budapest8's Ulcinj tips
- Wrote a Review Ulcinj Stari Grad Kalaja (Old city fortress) in Ulcinj Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ulcinj Stari Grad Kalaja (Old city fortress)"
- updated a Ulcinj Travel Page "One of last undiscovered gems in Europe"
- Uploaded a Video to Ulcinj
Photos in UlcinjSee All Photos (92)
Videos in UlcinjSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues