Denbigh Things to Do Tips by budapest8

Denbigh Things to Do: 20 reviews and 49 photos

Denbigh Castle, North Wales - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle, North Wales

Denbigh Castle's ghosts

He had sat in the same place as I had and felt the same things as I had, and we hadn't even discussed it previous to that. Later when most of the group had gone off to sleep, four of us stayed up and walked around the whole of the castle picking up various phenomena along the way. I found that on the left side of the building, I always felt light-headed (this was on ground level as well), but on the right I was fine.

The left side of the building is where the remaining battlements are located and the kitchen area. This is also the location of the castle well. It is believed that John DeLacey's eldest son fell off the battlement and plunged to his death into the well.

It was recorded on the night of the vigil that there was a scream heard coming from that area. Could this have been the ghostly cries of the poor victim? We will never know... quotes

Supernatural Encounters Association website: www.supernaturalencounters.co.uk

Directions:
Just look for the Scooby mobile or Shaggy and Scooby Doo

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Denbigh Castle grounds August 2006 - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle grounds August 2006

Stephen, Castle hill,Denbigh
If the people who were at the Castle, ghost hunting, on Halloween this year are reading.That wasnt a white warewolf that scared the life out of you...it was my fluffy german shepherd looking at you through the gap in the wall! I walk around the Castle and through the woods and down goblin lane at all times of the night and day, and as of yet have not encountered anything supernatural. The carpark can be a scary place of an evening though...for very different reasons.
Sun Jan 8 22:28:48 2006

Allen Roberts, born Denbigh 1949
I used to live in Vale Street. As boys we used the pathway which runs alongside Howell's School to the Goblin Tower. Before the tower we would scale the rocks and climb over the town wall. This would give us access to the tower; we would then descend to the bottom, dark even on a bright day. There was never anything heard or seen nor were we aware of any stories!
Wed Nov 16 10:40:00 2005

Alan, Denbigh
The castle is an amazing place. As a child, I used to go there often, and I now take my son there regularly as we live quite close by. I believe that any ghostly "experiences" people have had are simply the result of overactive imaginations and by those who actively try to seek such experiences. I am open minded but I think if you look at it objectively, you'll realise it's just a rather beautiful old ruin in a spectacular setting, and only haunted by local (living) people who cherish it.
Fri Oct 21 13:35:49 2005

Denbigh Castle, North Wales 2006 - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle, North Wales 2006

Jason from Barry
Having spent what felt like every waking hour in the castle during my childhood, the result of which is I could probably draw a perfect plan from memory (this would include the tunnels that out of towners would be completely unaware as well as a couple of caves!). I can honestly say I have never encountered anything supernatural or untoward in the castle. However, I have encountered strange things in "Top" woods! By Garch hill(not sure of spelling, sorry!). But as a non-believer I simply put these down to childhood fears!
Mon Apr 24 10:48:25 2006

Eryl Jones Denbigh
Where i live now I'm in good view of the castle. I only need to glance behind me while writing this and there it is. I'll be glancing at it more often now I have browsed over this site.
Sun Mar 5 10:59:29 2006

maria , stockport cheshire.
is the castle accsessable during the evenings and im interested in the goblin tower, and the experiences people have had there, is that accessable too? if not how do we gain access we are hoping to visit the castle during the coming weekends, there are eight of us who like to visit places of paranormal interest , to see if we can pick up anything unusual via sound or camcorder , anyone know of any other places that are of interest around there, that we can get to easily, during the evening, to do our own investigations
Mon Jan 30 14:37:01 2006

Lynda from Connecticut, USA
My family is fron N. Wales and I've had the good fortune to be able to return every summer. A couple of years ago my sister, daughter and myself visited the castle. We had the key to the wall and were there vertually alone. As we walked up the steps of what I believe was the Goblin Tower, my daughter, who was in front of me, turned quickly around and said, "What did you do that for?" I asked her what she meant and she wanted to know why I had pulled her hair. (She has waist length hair) I hadn't touched her. We assumed it was the ghost of the young boy who plunged to his death.
Sat Jan 21 16:23:16 2006

Denbigh Castle, North Wales 2006 - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle, North Wales 2006

Erin Cawthray, Denbigh
I was at my friend's house who lives in post office lane by Denbigh castle, she was hiding from me in her mum's room. I turned around and all went cold a grey blur and the sound of clothes shuffling rushed past me into the bathroom. I went in hoping to find somthing but to my suprise nothing was there. My friend walked out of her mum's room she said she was in there the whole time. Since then I hear banging on the walls and footsteps down the corridor.
Mon Aug 14 09:45:01 2006

Kirstin Griffiths, Huddersfield
Does anyone know where I can obtain information on the Myddelton family of Denbigh Castle?
Fri Aug 11 16:19:39 2006

jason - derby
anybody got any info on the tunnels under the castle- thanks
Wed Jul 19 07:57:26 2006

Meg Roberts, Denbigh
Is Monica Kranzel (nee. Williams) from Florida, the same Monica who used to work at the firelighter factory with, Pat, Elaine, Eira, and the girls from Mold. Oh and me, Meg?
Thu Jun 29 15:50:07 2006
middleton, rhyl
as i have said on the Bodelwyddan castle page, i am an EVP researcher, and i have visited Denbigh castle in the course of my local investigations. i have captured many evp's at Denbigh castle. on of which was an A class evp saying "we ask u to be quiet", this was very strange as i was recording in the middle of the chapel at the time. with the amount and quailty of evp's ive recorded at Debigh castle and within the walls of the town, i can confirm that Denbigh, at least for me, is a hot spot for evp activity.
Wed May 17 07:42:03 2006

Denbigh Castle grounds August 2006 - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle grounds August 2006

Ms Jones (Denbigh)
I was up at Denbigh Castle one night with 3 of my friends at around 12pm, we played dares in the dark and I got dared to go and stand by the well on my own for 5 minutes, they ran off to the other side of the castle, so they could see me. I stood there and stood there, 2 minutes in I heard screaming coming from the other side of the well. I looked up but no one was there and a splash of water at the bottom of the well, I froze, my 5 minutes were up, my friends came back I told them what I heard they didn't believe me. Only 1 did she told me her dad told her a ghost story like that when she was little. So was I dreaming or was it a ghost that lost her baby in the well?
Mon Jan 8 10:18:16 2007

s.l.r denbigh
i am 25 years old and have lived in denbigh my whole life, when i was a child i used to play up there with my cousins, and when i hit my teens i used to drink up there like most teens at the time, but i never saw anything to scare me, yet just after i turned 23 i lived up by the castle, i was walking home one night after work when i looked up towards the castle and saw what appeared to be something float along the top of the wall, i thought i must have been tired so i went straight home and it was only when i thought about it later on that i started to feel scared!
Mon Nov 6 08:43:07 2006

Phill Pritchard (Denbigh)
My mates Anton and I did some expeditions in Denbigh Castle and we have seen many orbs, figures and heard noises one of which shouted get out. It was in a deep English voice. We have also heard footsteps from the chamber under the wooden bridge so I believe the s.e.a's vigil to be true.
Wed Aug 23 09:27:40 2006

A haunted Denbigh Castle, North Wales - Denbigh

A haunted Denbigh Castle, North Wales

Comments from locals and visitors after watching the BBC Wales FILM
Are the Welsh more supersticious or could a tourist walking about the
castle grounds at night experiance an encounter...Well it's well of
the beaten track.

EYE WITNESS ACCOUNTS

Thomas, Denbigh
Me and my friends often hang around the castle and woods and we once heard a moaning comning from goblins tower. I also saw a figure standing close to the well. I really think the castle is haunted.
Wed Feb 28 11:10:21 2007

Alex H-Jones, St Asaph
It is indeed very scary, I was up there one evening walking my rabbit and I saw what looked to be nurse forms guarding the walls around the well area. There appeared to be 3-4 beings that evening. I have never since returned.
Mon Feb 26 09:36:04 2007

Stephen , Castle Hill, Denbigh
As mentioned earlier, I often walk my dogs through the woods and castle at all hours of the night and day. It is important to point out that I am neither a believer or a nonbeliever and remain open minded, indeed it seems that my son is "sensitive" in these matters and has had experiences in the past. I encountered a apparition at the foot of Goblin Tower only last week as I decended the steps from the cottage drive. It was a rainy night and it was particularly dark (around 12.15 am). It was the dogs that first alerted me to something and as I approached I saw a hooded figure with a long coat. There was a strange blue glow about this figure which made it look weird. On closer inspection it turned out to be another dog walker with a long coat and the glow was caused by his mobile phone which he was checking for messages. Funnily enough I scared the life out of this guy as I walked past him. I guess Im not a sensitive but also normal things can be thrown out of proportion depending on frame of mind....I'll keep looking and let you know, if you see something in the woods on a dark night, before freaking out shout out Stephen, as it could just be me.
Mon Feb 12 11:00:00 2007

Denbigh Castle walls 2006 - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle walls 2006

Denbigh Castle's ghosts

During the first 45 minute session I was in the Goblin Tower with my team of four members, the other two teams of five being located around various parts of the castle. I sat myself on a window ledge in the tower looking down into the darkness with a torch to help me see.

After about 10 minutes, I began to feel very nervous as if something was coming up the stone steps from the bottom of the tower. I lasted for about five minutes more and had to move to another area.

At this time one of the female members of the group (M) was feeling very nervous and said she had seen a small red ball of light floating around the tower.

I then decided to venture down to the bottom of the tower with a male member of the team (S) and as I got half way down, my legs became very weak and my head began to spin. I had to hold onto the wall for support. The feeling I was getting of unease was also noted by (S).

It wasn't until the early hours of the morning that I spoke to Mark O'Driscoll, who had also gone to the Tower with his team about two hours after my team had been there. I asked him how he felt during the session, and he recounted the exact same feelings of dread that I had experienced much earlier.

Denbigh Castle, North Wales - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle, North Wales

f
Paranormal investigator Mike McManus recounts a vigil at the haunted ruins. Plus, contributors share their encounters - and watch a film online about the castle's spooky residents...

The results of the vigil were very good and sightings of dark featureless figures were seen by a number of members of our group, Supernatural Encounters Association. As we entered the ruins, we felt in awe of the place and imagined what life would have been like in those days.

The site where the dark featureless shape was spotted was in the area of the battlements, which runs along the top of the area, which once housed the kitchens and king's bed chambers.

I had just walked over to the wooden framed steps to retrieve my tape recorder and was on my way back along the battlements when members who were on the grassed area below noted a dark shape moving quickly behind me.

It was also in the area housing the kitchens that a cold spot was discovered. The night was still and warm with no trace of wind or chill; myself and another member of the group (K) walked into the kitchen area via the entranceway and a very cold wind could be very clearly felt. Yet upon entering the vast room, all was still.

On leaving we again felt the cold wind, and as we left the area, we found the night air to be still. All other members of the group were asked to walk through the entranceway to corroborate what we had felt. Everyone was in agreement that it was indeed a strange phenomenon.

Denbigh CastleWe had the keys for the gates on the night of the vigil, and what was experienced in the Goblin Tower by Mark O'Driscoll and myself proved to the pair of us that something bad had once happened down at the bottom of the Tower.

Denbigh Castle - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle

Denbigh Castle Opening hours and events 2006

Opening Hours 2006 / 2007

Last admission half an hour before closing.

Summer:- 1st April to 30th September 9.30 to 17.30

Winter:- Access to the grounds at all reasonable times.

Events 2006
15th & 16th May - Anvil Productions - Macbeth.
7.30pm - Tickets £10.00

28th & 29th May - Company of the Bow - Archery displays and living history of C15th

10th & 11th June - Harlech Medieval Society - C13th Clash of Steel - 11am - 4pm - Normal Admission Charges.

1st & 2nd July - Sealed Knot - C17th Military and Living History Displays - 11am - 4pm
Normal Admission Charges.

12th July - The Lord Chamberlain's Men - A Midsummer Night's Dream. 7.30pm - From £7.50.

22nd July - Stageworks - The Tempest - 7pm
From £7.50

3rd August - Stageworks - Just So Stories
7pm - From £7.50

27th & 28th August - Escafeld - Recreation of C13th Tournament-at-Arms, fought on foot.
11am - 4pm - Normal Admission Charges.

Denbigh Castle walls 2006 - Denbigh

Denbigh Castle walls 2006

Denbigh Castle

Admission Information

Admission Charge:- Adults £2.50, Reduced rate £2.00.

Family Ticket:- £7.00 - admits 2 adults and up to 3 children under 16 years.

Three or seven day explorer passes are available to give you free admission to the historic sites in the care of Cadw.

Phone: +44 1745 813385

• Written Mar 9, 2007

budapest8 Used To Live Here!

budapest8

“Travelling is a passion beyond reason ·~ My§ticÄl~·:*.隐形的 ღ (~_~)♫♫”

Badges & Stats in Denbigh

Have you been to Denbigh?